Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 37 Replies
  • 8 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
lawyerz
Star
Star

This is a strange one. The base station VMB4000 + modem + router (Unifi Dream Machine) is connected to a UPS (CyberPower Systems BR1000ELCD) which has surge protections.

Everything works as expected when power outage goes down, and while the UPS still has battery and is still running, the power is restored. At the exact moment the power is restored, all cameras (All 5 Arlo Pro 2s) went offline and will not resync.

This is the 2nd base station I have of the same model after the first one was having similar issues of offline cameras and intermittent disconnection but this is slightly different because it completely will not sync and is not even detected.

I've tried them all. Base station reset. Hold sync on cameras for 15 seconds for 'reset', remove battery, remove power and turn off router and base station for a few minutes.

The base station will connect, and will activate. Two green lights, camera lights off. Camera blue blinking light does turn on when pressing sync, but after several minutes will quickly flash amber indicating sync failure.

I'm out of ideas and would appreciate suggestions. I've gone through the forums for all manners of fixes and tried many of them. The last time, a new base station fixed this issue but its ridiculous I'd need to change base station every time there's a power outage?

37 REPLIES 37
lawyerz
Star
Star

@Dannybeardidn't turn anything on or off. If it was interference, it have magically gone away. Also rather hard to explain how interference would stops the camera and base station 2 cm apart from syncing.

I did reach out to Arlo support, after spending 45 mins on level 1 support, they escalated and I heard back 2 days later from lvl 2 support, maybe they did something on their end.

lawyerz
Star
Star

Adding here in case this helps someone else.

Arlo said they didn't do anything on their end. But I remembered I did do TWO things.

I disconnected Arlo from Google Home and IFTTT. You know how you can link Arlo service with other services. I had mine linked to IFTTT and Google Home.

I'm NOT sure if that was the reason it started working again but that was the only thing I did differently.

Try this@LutrYves 

LutrYves
Guide
Guide

OK, I am not at home right now. And will see how it works, but I don't remember having put IFTTT and/or google home, the only thing similar is "Home" from apple I will see if I can disable it. Thanks anyway

Edit: on a second thought that would make a lot of sense since the protocol for home connected device has been updated (aka Matter) by google and apple and so forth and I bet that Arlo did not make the changes.... It would not surprise me that this makes the "noise" with the sync

LutrYves
Guide
Guide

Hello again,

I could try removing "Home" etc... but it seems it does not change anything. Still impossible to sync the cameras. I am still waiting for the support to come back to me. Wait and see....☹️

lawyerz
Star
Star

Lol I'm back! Well that didn't last very long, all cameras are back offline again and this time it was completely random, no power outage or anything, was just saving a video to my phone and poof everything's offline once again.

Sigh. @LutrYves was your issue solved since?

LutrYves
Guide
Guide

Well I am still pending with the support answering st*** questions like: are you sure your router is powered on? etc...

But magically the cameras re-appeared back on line 2 days ago... I am a little bit worried looking at your message!

Joke a part the only things I did was to cut all the links with apple/google home (as you suggested). I also forced my router to use the channel "1" for 2.4ghz wifi since it was set on "auto" and I thought that might be the issue with the router changing automatically the channels to overcrowded ones (although nothing changed were I lived and it was perfectly working since years). Note that the cameras were not back on line right after I changed the channel but were on line after a routine check the day after....

Fingers crossed!

lawyerz
Star
Star

Yeah I'm getting very frustrated with the unreliability of Arlo products. Thankfully I bought two Google cameras during Black Friday sale and at least that's giving me some coverage while all of my Arlo goes offline at random. Despite me trying to continue the previous support ticket that's was closed less than 2 weeks ago, supports making me the all the ineffective troubleshooting steps again. I wasted hours of my life resetting base station, cameras, restarting routers, changing LAN cables, etc etc and I'm getting quite frustrated with them.

I cut google home & IFTTT connection once again - no difference.

The last time I spoke to a proper support person this was what they said: Dated 26 Nov 2022: "Thank you for providing an update on the case. We actually received similar reports to your concern for the offline devices the other day, and a fix has been provided for the issue. "

would imply that it some something on their side that they fixed... either way, I'm very tired of this.

LutrYves
Guide
Guide

same here... 😞

Fica
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am the same, after a power cut the cameras do not synchronize again. 

Fica
Aspirant
Aspirant

The base has the three LEDs in green, and the cameras synchronize, but in the app they appear as disconnected. También he reiniciado la base y la he desenchufado, pero no soluciona el problema.

lawyerz
Star
Star

@LutrYvesguess what. I did what I did last time which is everytime I walked past the base station, I'd hit the manual sync button on the base station and the camera and woila, it found and synced to the camera once again. For how long this time! Who knows!

Doesn't inspire much confidence in something I'd like to make sure is running 24/7.

lawyerz
Star
Star

And... It's all offline again. Yeah I'm done with Arlo.

Fica
Aspirant
Aspirant

At the moment it has been solved by doing a reset to the base 

Discussion stats
  • 37 Replies
  • 8 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation