Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
rdilauro
Guide
Guide

I just purchased 2 ARLO Pro 2 cameras that I want to use to replace those Ring Cameras down at the lake.

I was totally surprised at how the Solar charger hooks up to the Pro 2.  Doesnt seem that sturdy.

But the bigger question.  Keeping things as even as possible, does the Pro 2 battery life fair better than

the Ultra batteries?  I am using it in a high traffic area, so, changing batteries every 3 or 4 days has become normal.

Should I expect better battery life from the Pro2?

5 REPLIES 5
Dannybear
Master
Master
I can only offer the following detail about one of my pro2 cameras.

I average about 500, recordings a week or about 5000sec and battery has dropped about 25% during that period. I usually recharge it monthly although the battery is 4 years old. These are also mostly day time events but recording durations vary longer than 10sec. Be aware that night time recordings will incur greater discharge from using the night LEDs.

Do you have any pro2 cameras you can live view and record to compare with the ring cameras? You should get about 30min duration per recordings before a restart of the recording is required.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@rdilauro wrote:

I am using it in a high traffic area, so, changing batteries every 3 or 4 days has become normal.

Should I expect better battery life from the Pro2?

While I do have two spots where I have Pro 3/Pro 2 side by side, I haven't tracked battery life carefully.  Still, my impression is that it is similar to the Pro 3 (and therefore probably similar to the Ultra).

Though the Pro 2 PIR sensors should cover the entire field of view, so you might actually get some more activity from the Pro 2 cameras.

rdilauro
Guide
Guide
I have the Pro2's in use for two days now. Without the solar chargers. Battery life has been ok, still around 70%. Though I have to admit the solar charger setup for the Pro2's is a bit strange. I am accustomed to the Ultra family and even the Go2 family. Simple to attach the magnetic charger strip.
On the Pro2, I have to attach this rubber base with a screw that really doesn't hold the camera and then put in the the solar charger connection (USB like) Not very friendly. But I will see how it works
Dannybear
Master
Master
Regards the rubber magnetic mount, not the ideal for outdoor use. You may want to consider a short lanyard for safety, use the rear screw hole and attach to the pole.

Regards the cable, some have suggested using some sealastic over the cable joint to improve weather proofing and stopping the connector from working it’s way out with wind vibration.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

FWIW, I've used the magnetic mount for years with no issues outdoors. I've also used Arlo solar panels with the Pro/Pro 2 cameras with no issue. If there's an issue with water infiltration I would suspect either not being fully plugged in or a damaged connector. Use of a 3rd party panel may mean all bets are off.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation