Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
SAub
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yesterday, 1 of my 4 Pro 2 cameras detected motion but video was not recorded to cloud and did not show in my Library, and LiveView didn't work, it always timed out. Push notifications were sent to my iPhone and the motion triggered another of my cameras which did record video. (I've configured that camera to trigger another), but video was not recorded. My other 4 cameras were working correctly. This issue continued for over 24 hours until I fixed it.

I resolved this issue by removing the battery from the affected camera and reinserting it which is annoying to do and only possible if you are near the camera.

This issue occurred a month ago with the same camera and was fixed the same way. 

The issue yesterday and a month ago started occurring when the camera detected motion and I started LiveView to see, in near real time, what the motion was. After stopping LiveView, the recorded video that should have occurred when the motion was detected, but before I started LiveView did not show in my Library. And from then on, that camera did not record even though motion was detected. 

2 REPLIES 2
DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

I have had this same issue with all my pro2 cameras since 2019 and arlo can’t find a fix, all they do is send the camera a reset every 24hrs to restart the video encoder.

SAub
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thank you DannyBearAgain for your interesting feedback. If I were Arlo and cared enough to want to fix the issue, I would do 3 things:

1. Implement a camera reset feature for customers to perform themselves. This buys Arlo time to find and fix the root issue and shows their customers that they care.

2. The software bug is most probably a multi-threading deadlock issue that occurs infrequently when 2 or more possibly unexpected things occur at the same time. Arlo should be reading the code looking for deadlock issues in the areas that I mentioned as it has occurred twice for me. I assume Arlo can't fix it because they can't reproduce it their internal testing, but now that I've given them a clue where the issue might be, they can look.

3. Arlo should add diagnostics to the camera and/or base station software/firmware to dump the state of system when this deadlock issue occurs. Since the camera is fully functional, except for the encoder thread, it should be easy to detect that the encoder thread is hung and dump the state of the system.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation