Base recognition

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Paulaaa
Follower
Follower

I have four cameras and a base NETGEAR vmb 3000 but still working. It happens now that the Arlo app doesn’t recognize the base or the cameras. Internet connection is ok, lights are green. How can I solve this? Is this related to Arlo NETGEAR split up?

Best answers
  • jguerdat
    Guru
    Guru

Your "solution" is to buy a new SmartHub or a used base (buyer beware) that the old owner has removed from their account. Lotsa stories about that NOT happening...

12 REPLIES 12
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Paulaaa wrote:

Is this related to Arlo NETGEAR split up?

No.  That happened back in 2018.

Arlo is aware of this issue with VMB4000 bases, but I haven't seen a lot of posts here on the VMB3000.  I'm tagging the Arlo mods - @BrookeN , @ShayneS , @JamesC - to call their attention to your post.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Paulaaa 

Are you still experiencing this symptom? 

FranksRetroLab
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am experiencing the same issue.  The VMB3500 base station's top two lights (power, Internet) are both green, and the bottom light is amber.

I have tried everything I can think of to add the device.

I have disabled firewalls (both on the laptop for the web app) and on the cable modem (Xfinity).  It keeps saying that the device is not found.  I tried adding port forwarders on the Xfinity cable modem, but that didn't work.  Both the laptop and the VMB3500 are plugged into the ethernet jacks in the back of the Xfinity cable modem, so they are on the same network. 

I have tried factory resetting the VMB3500 as well.

I have tried connecting the base from two different houses (both have Xfinity service).

I was looking at the values being exchanged from my laptop to the Arlo servers, and I see a failure code of 1120 and a message: Did not find any device Connected for ip xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx   (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx actually is populated with my WAN address, I just didn't post it here for security reasons).

I am not sure if it is still attempting to connect to somewhere on Netgear, or if it a problem with the Xfinity cable modems firmware.

I have been trying to get this working for about a week now (for a friend).

Thank you

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@FranksRetroLab 

If possible, are you able to onboard the device on your network successfully? 

FranksRetroLab
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello,

I connect the device to the network, and get the green light on the base station.

I can successfully ping the base station from my computer which is on the same network.

I can actually telnet to the device and get a userID and password prompt so I know I have connectivity to the base station within my network.

I am not sure what you mean by "onboard the device".

Thank you.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@FranksRetroLab 

Sorry, meaning "install" the base station.

FranksRetroLab
Aspirant
Aspirant

Good Morning,

Thank you for the clarification.

The base station is installed, but the app does not find it. 

I can ping the base station from my laptop, so I know that the base station is connected to my network.

I am trying to add the base station to the Arlo web app for devices and it does not find it no matter what I have tried.

Thank you.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

By "install" @ShayneS means into your account. The install process starts with connecting power and Ethernet followed by actually adding it to your account using the app or web client.

By any chance are you using a VPN? If so, disable it for the setup process.

FranksRetroLab
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello,

I have done the following:

1. Connected the base station to power (light is green).

2. Connected the base station to the Ethernet port on the back of the cable modem (light is green).

3. Connected my laptop to another Ethernet port on the back of the cable modem (I have verified connectivity).

4. Attempted to install the base station to the account on the web client, but it searches and eventually responds with no device found.

I am not on a VPN.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If you properly reset the base by holding the button for >10 seconds until the LEDs flashed amber and still can't onboard it after letting it reboot fully, it sounds like the base has a hardware issue. I had a similar issue some time ago where everything looked right but simply wouldn't connect. A different base worked fine.

FranksRetroLab
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi @jguerdat ,

Thank you for the response.

I have reset the base station a few times and it has made no difference.

I assume since it was purchased quite some time ago, the warranty has expired.

Unfortunately, it just sat in the box until it was ready to be installed, and then we discovered this issue.

If there is anything I can do or you can think of, please let me know.

Thank you again.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Your "solution" is to buy a new SmartHub or a used base (buyer beware) that the old owner has removed from their account. Lotsa stories about that NOT happening...