Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
iamTurner
Aspirant
Aspirant
So one day I decided to turn my Arlo camera system into a legit home security system. All that was missing was the Keypad by the front door so everyone in the house could arm/disarm it easily. So I bought the Arlo Security System for approx $220. Kind of expensive in my opinion as the Eufy and Ring Keypads are only ~$60, but fine. The Keypad isn't made for wall mounting for some reason, so it wasnt easy. Unfortunatley, I didnt take any pics of the journey, just the end result. The steps I followed are below. Overall, Im happy with how it turned out. Im sure it would have been much better if Arlo designed it for wall mount out of the box but it works and looks ok.

1) Cut a 12" x 12" hole in the hole where the keypad was going

2) Run a 14 gauge romex wire from the light switches below

3) Clear a hole through the vapour barrier and insulation

4) Screw a junction box to the studs and wire the previous 14 gauge wire into the junction box
        4 x 4 x 2 D. 4 cu in. Weatherproof Plastic Junction Box

5) Connect a 2 wire connector to the end of the 14 gauge wire
        Connector 2 Wire Easy Grip, White

6) Apply back the insulation, vapour barrier and drywall. finish off with Drywall compound and paint

7) Cut a hole through a 7" wall protector and the junction box cover and run the keypad wire through them both

😎 Plug the keypad USB cable into the keypad power adapter and then into the 2 Wire Connector inside the junction box

9) Use double sided tape to connect the keypad to the wall protector and the wall protector to the junction box cover

pic1pic2pic3

Feedback on the Arlo Security System

1) The keypad is right beside my front door, so as soon as someone enters, the keypad motion sensor gets triggered. It has a configurable 30 second delay where it sounds warning beeps, to remind you to enter the deactivation code. HOWEVER, when the arlo keypad siren goes off, my other connected arlo sirens in the house DO NOT ALARM. I have two other sirens through my Arlo Hub (VMB4000) and through my Arlo Essential Indoor Camera. You would think that when the arlo alarm is triggered, all the sirens would go off, but it seems the keypad is a separate system? For instance, when the indoor camera detects motion, the hub siren and the indoor camera siren go off. It also trigeers all the cameras to start recording. But when the keypad detects motion and 30 seconds pass so the siren goes off, I cant configure any further actions, so no other sirens and no other devices recording. Kind of disappointing 😞

2) The "Feed" tab never displays the latest events. When you open the "Feed" tab, you need to manually scroll to the top of the list to see the latest events. If you're opening this screen after a few days, you would need to scroll for awhile to see the latest event.

3) I wasnt able to find a wall protector/backplate which matched the same color as the keypad (and surrounding light switches) so they have noticable color difference

4) There is little wire bump at the top of the keypad, I decided not to open up the device and cut a hole in the back to wire it out the back. I figured that would probably void the warranty and for such an expensive device, I didnt want that.
3 REPLIES 3
iamTurner
Aspirant
Aspirant
jaylewis70
Tutor
Tutor

@iamTurner I didn’t get a mounting plate with mine because I bought the alarm system when it was immediately released. Where can I buy one, or will Arlo be kind enough to send me one?

iamTurner
Aspirant
Aspirant

The keypad doesn't come with a mounting plate. I had to buy the plate below to act as a mounting plate. Mostly to cover the box in the wall with the wires and charger. Only problem is a couldn't find a cover that matched the color of the keypad (or light switches).

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B00FPKXKCK?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title