Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

V sim is stopping in August - what sim to use?

Discussion stats
  • 36 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
moprabbit
Apprentice
Apprentice

I live in the UK and have 7 Arlo Go cameras. I've just had notification that the V sim cards I use for all cameras will no longer work after 1st August. I mainly use the cameras for live streaming. What sim card can I use instead? Thank you 

Best answers
  • ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

Thank you all for providing this feedback regarding Arlo GO cameras and Vodafone. Below you will find Vodafone's Q/A with some helpful information regarding the discontinued Vodafone Smart SIM subscription and a link to the Vodafone Help & Support page. 

How will this impact my Vodafone Smart Tech and V by Vodafone devices?chevron-icon

• From the 31st of July 2024, Vodafone Smart Tech and V by Vodafone devices will no longer work. Please ensure you download any pictures, videos, or data you wish to retain via the Smart App before this date.
    • If your device has an embedded Vodafone Smart SIM it will not be possible to replace the Smart SIM with an alternative SIM from another operator. Therefore, those devices will no longer work.
    • Where devices have an accessible and open SIM slot, you may be able to replace the Vodafone Smart SIM with a compatible SIM and subscription with another provider.
    • For a list of the Smart Tech and V by Vodafone products with an embedded SIM, or for those where you may be able to find an alternative SIM from another operator, please see below link.

https://eshop.v.vodafone.com/ie/help-and-support.html

36 REPLIES 36
er-minio
Aspirant
Aspirant

With regards to which sim works now that the V sim is being discontinued, I've managed to get some O2 data only sims to work! 

Thank you! Which data sim did you take? 
I'm with O2, so getting an extra SIM from the would be easier.

Did you have to configure anything on the camera? Or is it just a sim swap and it works?

moprabbit
Apprentice
Apprentice

I'm just experimenting with various sim cards. I went to the O2 shop and bought a O2 data only sim for £10 which had 2GB on. I activated it by following the instructions on the back then put it in the camera and it worked! I'm still trying to find out how much data my cameras use when I'm live streaming. The one I was testing however has just gone offline. 

er-minio
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I was curious of data usage as well.

I'd rather get a pay monthly data SIM, but don't want to spend more (or be around) the 4 quid a month the V SIM costed.

moprabbit
Apprentice
Apprentice

I don't think we'll get as good a deal as the V sims were but I shall experiment with a few more, but most seem to be around £10 or more. Please let me know if you find any good deals that work! 

bikerboy
Aspirant
Aspirant

The Vodafone Data VSims are being turned off in the UK on 1 August and Vodafone have said in writing that users of their VSims in cameras will need to try to find an alternative SIM provider, ie another network This means that VSims in Arlo Go 2 cameras will not work, and that is not a 3G issue. So the question remains, what alternative data Sims will work in Arlo Go 2 cameras after 1 August, and if those providers still support 3G will their Sims also work in the original Arlo Go cameras, and if so, how to configure.

bikerboy
Aspirant
Aspirant

The issue with my Arlo Go 2 cameras is not related to 3G, but the fact that Vodafone have stated their Data Sims will not work in Cameras, including the latest Go 2 model, after 1 August this year.This is despite paying their subscriptions for years and the cameras being on my Arlo Secure Plan. Unless their is an alternative data SIM provider in the UK, the cameras will be useless. I currently use three, and recently bought a fourth. When I tried to activate it using a Vodafone SIM, I found out that Vodafone had prevented new activations and that all existing connections would soon cease.Hence asking what other Sims work in Arlo Go 2 cameras in the UK. Vodafone have said it is up to users to try to find alternative providers.

Rich777
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks moprabbit !!

Are you doing the experimentation with the older original Go cameras or the newer Go 2 cameras?

Did you have any sort of O2 account beforehand?

I've ordered an O2 SIM from Amazon. At a high level, to activate did you just fill in an online form or do you have to insert the SIM into your smartphone first and follow instructions to activate and then take it out and place it in the camera?

Thanks for all your help !!

Rich777
Aspirant
Aspirant

Amazon has this....

EIOTCLUB Sim Card, Data Only Sim Card for 4G Camera, 4G Wifi Router, Trail Camera, GPS Tracker, Compatible with Vodafone, 3, and O2 Networks, Pay As You Go, No Contract, No Credit Check

Rich777
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks jguerdat.

I looked on eBay and the boxes for the older original Arlo Go cameras (not the Arlo Go 2 cameras) state that a 3G/4G plan is required.

Therefore to the best of your knowledge is the following true: the first Arlo Go cameras may have been for only 3G but the later models were both 3G and 4G compatible. In the UK 4G is not being switched off (but 3G is) therefore the later Arlo Go cameras (not the Arlo Go 2) should continue working - once we have solved the second problem of finding a suitable replacement SIM in the UK given that the main UK supplier Vodafone is ceasing their camera SIMS on 1st August.

Thanks for your help. 

moprabbit
Apprentice
Apprentice

I'm experimenting with the old Arlo Go cameras. On my first try I found that live streaming for 30 minutes used about 55mb. I didn't have an O2 account I just bought PAYG data sim card for £10 with 2Gb. I followed the instructions on the packet and found it worked OK. Also I've tried Smarty mobile data sim for £5 with 2Gb. That also worked, but did go offline so it could be the position of the camera, but I'll keep trying! Hope this helps! 

moprabbit
Apprentice
Apprentice

Interesting, I'll have a look at it. Thank you. 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Thank you all for providing this feedback regarding Arlo GO cameras and Vodafone. Below you will find Vodafone's Q/A with some helpful information regarding the discontinued Vodafone Smart SIM subscription and a link to the Vodafone Help & Support page. 

How will this impact my Vodafone Smart Tech and V by Vodafone devices?chevron-icon

• From the 31st of July 2024, Vodafone Smart Tech and V by Vodafone devices will no longer work. Please ensure you download any pictures, videos, or data you wish to retain via the Smart App before this date.
  • If your device has an embedded Vodafone Smart SIM it will not be possible to replace the Smart SIM with an alternative SIM from another operator. Therefore, those devices will no longer work.
  • Where devices have an accessible and open SIM slot, you may be able to replace the Vodafone Smart SIM with a compatible SIM and subscription with another provider.
  • For a list of the Smart Tech and V by Vodafone products with an embedded SIM, or for those where you may be able to find an alternative SIM from another operator, please see below link.

https://eshop.v.vodafone.com/ie/help-and-support.html

Discussion stats
  • 36 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation