Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

V sim is stopping in August - what sim to use?

Discussion stats
  • 36 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
moprabbit
Apprentice
Apprentice

I live in the UK and have 7 Arlo Go cameras. I've just had notification that the V sim cards I use for all cameras will no longer work after 1st August. I mainly use the cameras for live streaming. What sim card can I use instead? Thank you 

Best answers
  • ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

Thank you all for providing this feedback regarding Arlo GO cameras and Vodafone. Below you will find Vodafone's Q/A with some helpful information regarding the discontinued Vodafone Smart SIM subscription and a link to the Vodafone Help & Support page. 

How will this impact my Vodafone Smart Tech and V by Vodafone devices?chevron-icon

• From the 31st of July 2024, Vodafone Smart Tech and V by Vodafone devices will no longer work. Please ensure you download any pictures, videos, or data you wish to retain via the Smart App before this date.
    • If your device has an embedded Vodafone Smart SIM it will not be possible to replace the Smart SIM with an alternative SIM from another operator. Therefore, those devices will no longer work.
    • Where devices have an accessible and open SIM slot, you may be able to replace the Vodafone Smart SIM with a compatible SIM and subscription with another provider.
    • For a list of the Smart Tech and V by Vodafone products with an embedded SIM, or for those where you may be able to find an alternative SIM from another operator, please see below link.

https://eshop.v.vodafone.com/ie/help-and-support.html

36 REPLIES 36
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @moprabbit 

I have notified the Support teams so they can provide you with other options, they should be reaching out to you as soon as possible.

moprabbit
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks for the reply Shane. Still waiting for Arlo support to get back to me. I'm finding getting any form of support from Arlo almost impossible. I can't find a phone number to actually speak to someone and emails don't seem to w either. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@moprabbit wrote:

I can't find a phone number to actually speak to someone and emails don't seem to w either. 

Do you have a Secure subscription for the cameras?  Likely you do if you have 7,  otherwise you wouldn't have any cloud storage.

If you do have a subscription, you can get phone support by going into the support center of the app, and then selecting a camera.  Scroll down, and you'll see phone support.  Don't google for a number, that almost always leads to a scam support site.

Though tier-1 support might not be able to answer your question.

moprabbit
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks for the reply Stephen. I don't have the secure subscription as I only use the cameras for the streaming. Actually I don't know what the secure subscription is? Does it support live streaming? 

Kind regards

Ann 

Edinburgh_lad1
Prodigy
Prodigy

Support in the UK isn't accessible at the moment. I tried yesterday and got cut off after 1 ring on several occasions, and today I'm getting a message 'Server unreachable'.

moprabbit
Apprentice
Apprentice

I agree! That's why I started to use Reolink cameras instead but I've still got Arlo cameras that I need to keep going but I just don't know about which sim cards will work when my Vodafone V sim sims stop. Not being able to get any support is not good. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@moprabbit wrote:

Thanks for the reply Stephen. I don't have the secure subscription as I only use the cameras for the streaming. Actually I don't know what the secure subscription is? Does it support live streaming? 

Arlo Secure gives you several features including

• cloud recording of motion events
  • smart classification in both recordings and notifications (person, animal, vehicle, package)
  • activity zones.
moprabbit
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks for that Stephen. I don't think it would be any use for my situation. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@moprabbit wrote:

Thanks for that Stephen. I don't think it would be any use for my situation. 

Unfortunately the subscription is also needed for phone support.

moprabbit
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks Stephen. If I can't get phone support, I'll just have to see if I can sort the problem out myself. I'm going to try an EE sim card to see if that works. If not I'll probably have to get rid of the Arlo cameras and get Reolink instead. Thanks for your help. 

bikerboy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Vodafone have announced that their VSims, which I use in my three GO2 cameras in the UK, will stop working on 1 August 2024. What other Sims are compatible for use in the UK please.

bikerboy
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have six Arlo Go cameras bought from Vodafone (at huge cost) in 2020. They were sold as VCams and use the Vodafone VSim with monthly subscription Vodafone have now announced they have withdrawn the  Sims and they will no longer work after 1 August 2024. Were the VCam versions of the Arlo Go programmed to only work on Vodafone and if not, which other Sim providers does the Arlo Go work with in the UK ? These cameras are not yet on the Arlo EOL list so what advice will Arlo give to the Arlo Go users in the UK?

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @bikerboy 

Thank you for the inquiry, I have escalated this for you and Support will be reaching out to you as soon as possible.

Rich777
Aspirant
Aspirant

Can somebody please help?

The Arlo Go 2 cameras (and the earlier Go cameras) will no longer work after August 1st 2024.

Where is Arlo Management? Why are the cameras still being sold? Is this legal?

Rich777
Aspirant
Aspirant

Please can someone help urgently?

Still no response from Arlo Management.

Arlo Go 2 cameras will not work after !st August 2024.

Why are they still being sold? This cannot be legal? 

Rich777
Aspirant
Aspirant

Can somebody please help?

The Arlo Go 2 cameras (and the earlier Go cameras) will no longer work after August 1st 2024.

Where is Arlo Management? Why are the cameras still being sold? Is this legal? 

moprabbit
Apprentice
Apprentice

Is this true about the old Arlo Go cameras stopping working from 1st August? I must admit I've not heard it anywhere and I agree with you, should they still be selling them? 

er-minio
Aspirant
Aspirant

I’m joining the thread. I have a Go and will need to sort out a new data SIM card for it + I have no idea how to configure a different SIM card in the camera (if configuration is required at all).

Some suggestion and guidance is appreciated.

thanks in advance

Rich777
Aspirant
Aspirant

10,000s of people will be affected.

Still no information from the Arlo company.

The Arlo cameras will no longer work unless a solution is put in place.

Yet they are still being sold online. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'm not at all sure the original Go camera is still being sold since they have long since stopped production. If you find new ones they're either NOS (new old stock) or the much newer Go 2 model.

As for the original Go cameras, they're not on the EOL list - see the official document:

https://kb.arlo.com/000063018/End-of-Life-for-Arlo-Legacy-Cameras-and-Arlo-Services

Regardless, even EOL cameras don't magically stop working on their listed date - they just stop receiving support and updates. Updates are supplied by the individual ISPs, not Arlo, so whatever those entities decide is the issue. Supported SIMs are again a function of the ISP which may ultimately cause the old cameras to stop working with the dropping of 3G connections. That's not an Arlo issue.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Go or Go 2? The original Go may stop working if 3G is turned off by the ISP.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I haven't been tracking who has been posting some inaccurate info here so I may have already responded in other posts. The Go 2 is the current product and is not EOL nor, AFAIK, having SIM issues. The  original Go uses a 3G SIM which is being deprecated as that is being removed by many ISPs. 

moprabbit
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thank you for your reply about the Arlo Go cameras. With regards to which sim works now that the V sim is being discontinued, I've managed to get some O2 data only sims to work! 

er-minio
Aspirant
Aspirant

> The Arlo cameras will no longer work unless a solution is put in place.

One just has to replace the SIM inside the camera. It's not the end of the world, but it would be interesting to understand if any data only sim goes in the camera or if there is any specifics to be taken care of.

Discussion stats
  • 36 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation