Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
lwthomas1
Apprentice
Apprentice

I am trying to determine if I am able to use my AT&T data plan for the Arlo Go, and if so how do I get it provisioned. I have determined so far that an AT&T SImm will not work with the Arlo. I did talk to Verizon and they actually sell them in theor store so they must come already provisioned.

10 REPLIES 10
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

There are two types of go cameras one is for AT&T which is  GSM and one is for Verizon which is CDMA you have to know which one you're going to use before you contact your Carrier

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
lwthomas1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Tom, I purchased mine at Best Buy and not from a vendor. It seems like it is the AT&T type as I did get it to connect ONCE with the Arlo Simm inserted. When I looked at the APN on the connection it showed arlo.com/attz. However it was not connected to or provisioned on my ATT mobile data plan as I believe this is the initial 15 minutes to check out the camera. When I tried my ATT Simm it did not work and does not work now with the Arlo SIMMeven to connect to this temp APN.

lwthomas1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Tom, I bought the camera at Best Buy. It appears to be of the ATT type as the one time I connected to the network with the ARLO SIMM it worked one time. I checked the APN location and it was arlo.com/attz. I inserted my  provisioned ATT SImm in and it failed to connect. After that the Arlo factory simm no longer works. I verified with ATT that this device is not locked out. Are you aware of anyway I can tell which camera I have. I have asked Netgear folks and they do not seem to be able to come up with an answer.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Sorry, but information for the GO is still limited on my part... I can only say you will either have to Contact Netgear Support or someone at ATT that may have worked with one before

Morse is faster than texting!
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Iwthomas1,

To get started setting up your Arlo Go camera, take a look at this article: How do I set up my Arlo Go camera?

JamesC

lwthomas1
Apprentice
Apprentice

James this is not the issue. I just spent the better part of 4 evenings working with Netgear tech support and AT&T only to find out from Netgear that the AT&T plans require the  VML4030-100NAS model. The one I purchased at Best Buy is the VML4030-200NAS model which only works with the Arlo plan, which is not an option for me. So I am looking for where I can ourchase the 100 Model. The only olaces I see either only sell to business's, government or they want a 30% bonus for theirs which I am not going to pay. Where I can I purchase on at a more realistic price similar to Best Buy, Verizon etc. 

lwthomas1
Apprentice
Apprentice

James, I did call thiese numbers in the fiasco in trying to get this camera I had working with Netgear tech support.  

I called: 

They said - What business are you with?

I am not a business I am a consumer. 

Oh let me get you to someone else who can help you.

They transferred me to someone who spent about 20 minutes and came back to say - We do have an Arlo Pro we can sell you.

I told them I already have 4 Arlo Pro's and thanked them and went on my way.

I took my Camera and SIMM to an AT&T store and we spent a couple of hours and involved their 3rd level of support only to determine there was no problem with the ATT network. 

I re-engaged Netgear Tech support and they escalated this and found that the VML4030-200NAS will NEVER work with AT&T and only the Arlo/Netger plan.

This is the reason I am looking for the VML4030-100NAS.

lwthomas1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Here is the resolution I found for getting your AT&T plan to work on the Arlo Go.

There are actually 3 models (at least) of these cameras. The VML4030-100NAS, VML4030-200NAS, and the VML4030-VHQ.

They function as follows:

VML4030-100NAS - This camera will work out of the box with an AT&T data plan. I ordered one of these, took it to the AT&T store and they provisioned the in-the-box Sim on my Mobile Share plan and I was done in 10 minutes.

VML4030-200NAS - This camera will ONLY work with the Arlo Mobile plan. It will NEVER work with your AT&T plan, although I think it might be using the AT&T network for the Arlo plan which may be part of the confusion. The APN on this sim maps to arlo.com/attz. AT&T sims will not work with this camera and AT&T can not provision the sim that comes with the camera. In fact if you get a sim from AT&T and try to provision it and then attempt to go back to the original sim, it will give you the impression that the camera is bricked. However you can get the original Arlo sim working by performing a factory reset on the camera. 

To reset to factory settings see below.

Once you have done the factory reset, pop in the original sim and you will be able to get it configured and running on the Arlo Mobile plan if you choose.

From what I can tell all of the cameras that you can purchase at Best Buy and Amazon are theVML4030-200NAS model, so beware. I can tell you the two I got from Best Buy were both this model.

VML4030-VHQ - This is the model that is sold in the Verizon stores and I believe only works on Verizon although I don’t have personal experience to confirm that.

I hope this helps others avoid wasting their time as well as AT&T’s, Best Buy’s, Amazon’s and anyone else who happens to sell the VML4030-200NAS. 
Lazldazl
Tutor
Tutor

This has been so paiful.  I contacted support, ticket number 28534597 and 28534556 and they are of no help.  I have a vml4030-200nas and they keep telling me to go to att to activate sim.  I can attest that att cannot activate sim provided with camera since it does not have an associated phone number.  I can also confirm that i purchased a pre-paid att sim and it also does not work.  Spent another $48 that i did not have too.  Prett crappy experince for an early adopter of the original camera systems

lwthomas1
Apprentice
Apprentice

If i isn't too late to return the camera, you need to get the VML4030-100NAS and take it to the AT&T store. They can activate the SIM that comes with it with no problems. I assume they could probably activate their SIMs with it as well, but I did not try it. The problem is there isn't any place where you can buy different versions of the camera. Most of the high volume places where I am like Amazon and Best Buy only sell the VML4030-200NAS. 

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation