Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
RMA-Aus
Aspirant
Aspirant

Does anyone have experience using Arlo Go on a farm?  On paper it looks like a good solution to monitoring remote gates, sheds and tracks, but all that depends on how it operates.  I'm concenred about recording delays described in other posts, battery life (with solar) and the ability of the sensors to pick up movement at night without being constantly triggered by trees moving in the wind.  Has anyone tried multiple cameras on a mobile cell network on a farm?

6 REPLIES 6
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

A lot depends on the cell service quality you have at the various locations... you could always try one camera to see how well it works for you before jumping fully in.

Solar panels should keep the batteries up but I would make sure the seal at the camera is 100%.

( I've used an external sealer called coax seal.... sort of water resistant putty that can be removed if needed )

As to motion and wind, that is more of a trial and error,  many set up multi modes on the cameras for normal and windy days.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
RMA-Aus
Aspirant
Aspirant

@TomMac wrote:

A lot depends on the cell service quality you have at the various locations... you could always try one camera to see how well it works for you before jumping fully in.

Solar panels should keep the batteries up but I would make sure the seal at the camera is 100%.

( I've used an external sealer called coax seal.... sort of water resistant putty that can be removed if needed )

As to motion and wind, that is more of a trial and error,  many set up multi modes on the cameras for normal and windy days.

Thanks for the reply.  Cell service quality is good, with a brand new 4G tower just installed on the range above.  I've read a lot about recording delays with the camera, that after the sensor is triggered the subject may have left the view before the recording starts.  Some very negative comments about that going back a few years on different forums.  Is this a firmwear issue that's been improved in 2018?

What is "multi-mode" and how is this administered?  Are you saying that the user has to change the system mode manually on windy days?

We may try one camera as a trial but I'd like to understand as much as possible about it first.

Ralphmd
Guide
Guide

I’ve had one on a Farm for 3-4mths and it has been great. It’s on the corner of a shed and no trees or objects that create wind issues.  You can add a mode and dial down the sensitivity save it as say Windy Day, and manually activate, as per previous comment. It’s better to position it to be trigggered by activity  moving across the camera, not towards it.  Mine stays charged above 80% but depends upon how often it’s triggered. I keep an eye on cattle, foxes, grass, weather events, wasps, even recorded a mini tornado once. Had one recent issue after I turned off the camera on the app during a visit, rather than disarming it, and unfortunately there was a Telstra outage, drove back to Melbourne and it remained offline and wouldn’t  reconnect with the Network without me driving back many hours to reboot it. My signal strength fluctuates b/w 1 -4 bars out 5, and when it records an event, it goes offline for up to 240 seconds, assume it’s while it’s uploading the video to the cloud, then comes back online. But overall it’s been well worth the investment, very 😃   

RMA-Aus
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks, great answer, really appreciated.

That's pretty much what we want to do, on a farm a few hours out of Melbourne on the Telstra network.  Mainly we want to keep an eye on sheds and equipment where wind won'r be much of an issue.  We also want to watch remote gates for unauthorised vehicles where wind might be an issue.

I take your point about positioning the camera for movement across rather than towards.  We'll likely try a compromise oblique position to get licence plate views.

Are you using the solar panel to keep it charged or 240v adaptor?

How does the camera perform at night?

Thanks...

Ralphmd
Guide
Guide

Yes using the solar panel, works well provided you have no, very little overshadowing of the panel and best to orientate it maximise the appropriate summer/winter equinox movements.

Night vision uses IR and has limitations as with most IR don’t use this much as I schedule mine to only operate only during daylight hours. Hope that assists.

RMA-Aus
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks again.

Looks like our next step will be to buy one and put it through its paces.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation