Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Go - important pre-purchase questions for installation in cold weather climate

Discussion stats
  • 0 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 1 In Conversation
CondoCommunity
Follower
Follower

Good day community,

To begin, I have done my due diligence and read as many FAQ articles, reviews, community posts, quick installation guides, about competing products as possible. So please, these questions are directed to moderators that have very direct knowledge of the product's capabilities. I write them here so that as many people as possible can benefit! I thank you in advance for taking the time to read this and possibly answer some of the questions...

Ok so here we go..!  

Background: 

We are a small condo building that has multiple trespassings and a couple break-ins. We wish to secure the premise at point of entry, and view/record the traffic. We live in Montreal, Canada and it can get mighty cold up here in the winter -20 Celsius (-4 F) and rainy in the springs/falls. Most likely it will be installed on brick walls fully exposed to the elements. So my questions are about best practices for installation and to see if this product is right for us.

Also, we don't want a WiFi system because there is no central desk and no occupant should have to use their personal internet connection to run the IP cameras. You can already imagine that we are looking for a 0 interference "poor man's" solution here lol

INSTALLATION:

*After researching multiple LTE IP cameras, I haven't found one yet that is both LTE and direct wired connected. That being said, the Arlo comes with a plug which is nice, but I wonder about the durability of a micro USB port exposed to the elements. Given it is IP65 certified, however an ingress point for water, dust and other particles, rust through the port, could it not? And this in-turn would shorten it's longevity and life cycle. So my question is this...

1. Housing: Some site suggest installing an outdoor IP camera in a housing such as this:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00IJI4S0S/ref=as_li_ss_tl?slotNum=0&ie=UTF8&linkCode=g12&imprToken=QJt07nV...

Q: Is there a Arlo branded housing that I can purchase? If not, can these types of housings be compatible with the ArloGo? Any risk of overheating in the summer?

2.  Junction box for the outlet: The same sites also suggest installing a waterproof junction box where you connect the plug to the power outlet, similar to this:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/TayMac-1-Gang-Rectangle-Plastic-Weatherproof-Electrical-Box-Cover/50372928 

Q: Given that the Arlo Go is plugged in, is this recommended?

3. Power switch : After reading many of the concerns with the Arlo Go, it seems there are issues with it bugging/ buffering/ freezing and therefore requiring a hard reset. 

Q: Given that the camera will be mounted and installed high enough on the wall to be tamper-proof, do you think that we should run them to a switch inside the building for a hard reset? Or would flipping the breaker work too? 

Also, is there a power cycling feature through the application for a software reset?

Thanks for any help and suggestions you might provide!!

Again, this will determine if this setup will work with us.

0 REPLIES 0
Discussion stats
  • 0 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 1 In Conversation