Arlo Go Camera Goes Offline in cold

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Jbr23
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am using an Arlo go camera on the Verizon network to monitor conditions at one of my sites for snow removal. Frustratingly last season I discovered that when the temperature fell below 20 degrees the battery consumption skyrocketed and often times the camera didn't work. I found this to be an extremely frustrating considering the camera was built to be outside and yet did not work in cold temperatures. To rectify this this year I bought an outdoor heated enclosure used for security cameras and I have the camera plugged into Power. Despite this the camera still goes offline when the temperature gets below 15 degrees. I will try to log into the app and it will say you're a camera appears to be outside of coverage please ensure that it is inside Mobile coverage. Obviously it is because the camera hasn't moved, is there any way to work around this even with the heated enclosure I cannot believe the camera still shuts down do they have an update for this or are they going to design a camera that actually functions in other than ideal weather conditions?

Or maybe they should design a heated enclosure that the camera can go inside of the one I am using is not meant for this camera it is designed for a regular security camera. It has a little metal bar that acts like a radiator and puts off heat and I thought this would solve the problem.
3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It shouldn't go offline at 15F. Have you contacted support about this?

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

Jbr23
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have not contacted them directly yet, I can try this. Do you know if it shuts down at a certain temp? Or perhaps this is indicative of a different issue?

I filled the heated camera enclosure with fiberglass insulation and it started working again, but after another temp drop it's not working again.

Attached is the message I receive, had the same problem last season and I always assumed it was temp related.
Screenshot_20190129-225532_Arlo.jpg
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I would hazard a guess that it's a hardware issue. The cameras do shut down at -4F/-20C by design (check the tech specs at https://www.arlo.com/en-us/products/arlo-go/default.aspx) so much of a variance seems to indicate an issue. As you've found, an insulated box just slows down the rate of heat loss and will eventually reach the same temp as without the box (reverse wind chill).

I have a Pro that does the same thing but with a much smaller deviation from the spec so I don't worry about it.

I'd open that case so things get sorted out before the warranty runs out.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation