Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
KTH
Follower
Follower

Hi There! 

I'm struggling with my Arlo GO charging with external powerbank. My Arlo GO is located in boat and external 220V power is available only in harbor. As Arlo GO have only micro USB connector, but power banks doesn't support 9V. 
I wonder why Arlo don't upgrade power connector to USB-C which allows up to 100W charging power and is more standard nowadays and also lot of powerbanks are available supporting fastcharge.
I would love to upgrade my Arlo GO for new model having that feature. Is there any plans for this?

Thanks, Kari

6 REPLIES 6
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Haven't seen or heard anything that would lead me to think this will happen.

but read this... https://kb.arlo.com/1152208/What-is-Quick-Charge-and-why-does-my-Arlo-Pro-Wire-Free-or-Arlo-Go-camer...

You need the original adapter  or a quallcom type charger that will put out 5 and 9v to charge the battery

a simple inverter from you onboard batteries would allow the adapter to be powerd

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
ArloGoVML4030
Guide
Guide

Is it possible to use a qualcomm powerbank as power source in freezing temperatures? Having problem with battery drain in the winter. 

-Arlo Go VML4030-100PES SN: 51D Location: Sweden FW: 1.096.3.1_1.8.63.0_0 .6.5.19.GC.002 -
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The powerbank likely isn't a problem but the ability to charge the camera battery would be due to the camera's protection of the battery in freezing temps. However, the powerbank will continue to power the camera with no issue other than the usual reduction of capacity from the colder temps.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jguerdat wrote:

However, the powerbank will continue to power the camera with no issue other than the usual reduction of capacity from the colder temps.

@ArloGoVML4030:  The Go will probably think it is connected to AC power.  That will automatically enable some AC-only features - resulting in the powerbank draining pretty quickly.   

I suggest trying this now (not waiting for freezing temps), and see how long the powerbank lasts.

An Arlo solar panel might be a better option.  That will trickle-charge when the temps are high enough, and won't trigger any AC-only features.

ArloGoVML4030
Guide
Guide

Is it possible to remove the battery and run the camera with powerbank only?

-Arlo Go VML4030-100PES SN: 51D Location: Sweden FW: 1.096.3.1_1.8.63.0_0 .6.5.19.GC.002 -
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ArloGoVML4030 wrote:

Is it possible to remove the battery and run the camera with powerbank only?

Likely yes (assuming the powerbank can charge the Go in the first place).  But that won't solve the power drain issue I mentioned above.  The camera will still likely think it is connected to AC power.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation