Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
ArloGoVML4030
Guide
Guide

On the reolink go camera you can use a car battery and 12 to 5v converter to keep the battery from loosing power for months during winter time and in freezing degrees if the camera battery is fully charged. Is it possible to use that on arlo go too with a 12v qualcomm converter and car battery? In winter months my arlo go battery is drained after just one week

Screenshot_20231129_163210_Samsung Internet.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Converter-Charging-Voltage-Regulator-Adapter/dp/B0B212GFM9 

-Arlo Go VML4030-100PES SN: 51D Location: Sweden FW: 1.096.3.1_1.8.63.0_0 .6.5.19.GC.002 -
3 REPLIES 3
DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

Some things worth considering are,

The go camera battery life is normally reduced with low temperatures.

The camera electronics will not charge the battery if below freezing to protect the battery.

The camera electronics should still  operate at a even lower temperature if the battery is removed with the camera externally power supplied.

The arlo go battery is a 7.2vdc so requires a higher charge voltage that the quick chargers can provide. You should still be able to run the camera using the standard 5vdc external supply.

When using the 12vdc car battery with the QC adaptor the drain on the battery will be constant and you may not get the expected life before it also needs recharging again. Generally led acid will only work above -40degF.

Consider using a POE adaptor if you can run a Ethernet cable to the camera.

ArloGoVML4030
Guide
Guide

Ok but I think it works with the reolink go because even though the 12v car battery drops in voltage it still can provide the 5v volt that the camera battery needs to not drop in power.  As long as the car battery can provide 7.2v, couldn't it work? Not charge, that is not working on the reolink go either because it can damage the battery same as arlo go in freezing degrees, but keeping the cameras battery from draining? What qualcomm converter deliver 7.2v? The one I linked provide (3.3V ~ 5V ~ 9V ~ 12V) qc3.0 

Poe is not possible the camera is on a remote place without electricity 

-Arlo Go VML4030-100PES SN: 51D Location: Sweden FW: 1.096.3.1_1.8.63.0_0 .6.5.19.GC.002 -
DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

I know that it will work as I have done this with my pro2 camera. Not in a cold climate though.

The considerations are based on those experiments.

If you leave the camera battery in place I can only suggest that the app will give you a constant error message about temperature being to low for charging and the camera will shut you out. Hence the need to remove the battery.

Although the battery is 7.2vdc the QC feature negotiation would set the adapter voltage to 9vdc so the battery can charge successfully. My pro2 Cameras will also run using a 5.1vdc adapter so assuming the arlo go may also, you should consider just using a 12v to 5v adaptor instead of the QC version.

The comment on the car battery is related to the need to supply the camera constantly with power, this places a minor extra drain on the battery which obviously reduces the battery supply capacity so you might not get the wanted run time before recharging is required.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation