Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 6 In Conversation
NoTime
Aspirant
Aspirant

Can the Arlo Go 2 connect to a solar panel???

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The VMA5600 Solar Panel is compatible with Arlo Go 2. For more information on this accessory, take a look here: Arlo Accessories

JamesC

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Rkay321
Guide
Guide

I’m sure it will, but give the teams time to develop the new interface (magnetic vs plug in) for the power cable.  The solar panel will most likely be the same, size wise and voltage, etc.  

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Rkay321 wrote:

I’m sure it will, but give the teams time to develop the new interface (magnetic vs plug in) for the power cable.  

FWIW, the GO 2 uses the magnetic connector.  Not sure it the Ultra solar panel will work, but likely it will.  Perhaps @JamesC can follow up on this point.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The VMA5600 Solar Panel is compatible with Arlo Go 2. For more information on this accessory, take a look here: Arlo Accessories

JamesC

Rkay321
Guide
Guide

As a follow up to this post and the reply that you stated the VMA 5600 solar panel is compatible with the GO2 camera.  I would like the following questions answered.  The reason is I have recently purchased a new solar panel (5600) and it does not charge the battery more than 1 - 2 % in many hours of charging in full sunlight.  The answer you have provided was that the solar panel is compatible, but does that mean it is tested and recommended?

somehow, I think the solar pannel will need to be bigger to charge the much larger Arlo Go 2 battery effector.

Question 1:  what is the minimum input requirements to charge a GO2 camera?  5 watt, or 12 watt.  Will it charge with only 5 watts, and what is the charge time to charge an Arlo Go2 camera from dead battery using a 5 watt charger.  The same for using a 12 watt charger

Question 2. Where are the charging specifications spelled out for the Arlo GO2 charger requirements?  Arlo does not provide a charger in the box, but only the cord.  It is ambiguous what charger to use?  Need an answer to this.  

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The standard 5v, 2A charger is the spec device to charge these cameras. The larger battery indeed means the solar panel takes longer to charge as well as from AC power. It takes roughly 2x the time to charge these batteries compared to the smaller batteries in other Arlo cameras. Also, remember that the solar panel is just a trickle charger so starting with a fully charged battery will work much better than trying to use the panel to charge a depleted battery.

Rkay321
Guide
Guide

Ok, i can accept this as a reasonable  answer.  But, to be determined>>> can I charge the Go2 camera with a 12 watt, 5.2v,  2.4 A charger? (Aka a ipad charge)r What happens if you do?   

The reasons I ask is because Arlo does not specify in the box instructions, or set up process (for a GO2) camera what charger to use?  They only give a charging cable.

so, could you please show me where in the set up process, which includes charging, what charger to use? This instruction/process ‘if critical’, should be front and center for a user to NOT mess it up.

just saying…. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Rkay321 wrote:

can I charge the Go2 camera with a 12 watt, 5.2v,  2.4 A charger? (Aka a ipad charge)?   

Yes, that should also work. 

@Rkay321 wrote:

Arlo does not specify in the box instructions, or set up process (for a GO2) camera what charger to use?  They only give a charging cable.

so, could you please show me where in the set up process, which includes charging, what charger to use?

That is good feedback for Arlo (note this is a user forum, and no one from Arlo has weighed in on your charger question).

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@Rkay321 wrote:

Ok, i can accept this as a reasonable  answer.  But, to be determined>>> can I charge the Go2 camera with a 12 watt, 5.2v,  2.4 A charger? (Aka a ipad charge)r What happens if you do?

Note that what the specs are for the charger is just what it's capable of, not what is ultimately transferred to the camera (or any other device it's plugged into). The camera will determine what the current draw is. Use of a higher capacity charger does no harm but, like using premium gas in a car spec'ed for regular, doesn't increase performance all by itself.

ThinkTwice
Initiate
Initiate

You can purchase the VMA5600 and connect to it for $60 which is great but it DOES NOT CHARGE, IT WILL MAINTAIN WHAT IS THEN THE CURRENT PERCENTAGE.

Go connected to the camera and receiving average sun exposure, your camera battery stays charged (CORRECT), so you don’t need to worry about recharging it (INCORRECT). The solar panel is a great low-maintenance solution for outdoor camera installations in hard-to-reach areas (INCORRECT).

Although the Arlo Solar Panel is designed to keep your Arlo camera’s battery fully charged (INCORRECT), heavy (NORMAL) usage of your camera can drain the camera battery faster than the solar panel can recharge it. The 2-watt Arlo Solar Panel is designed to provide year-round trickle charging to keep your Arlo camera battery charged (INCORRECT), not to charge your camera battery from low to full.

Bottom line, you have a better change of connecting the the President of the United States long before you would speak to a representative of the publicly traded company.  You can't get thru to their office.  Best of luck. 

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 6 In Conversation