Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Solar panel stopped charging

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Jnavagh
Aspirant
Aspirant

I installed an Arlo Go 2 with an Arlo solar panel in June 2023. It worked for several months, although I did notice that the charge level would drop to below 90% until the solar charging would kick in. It would recharge to 100% in a day or 2 so this seemed unusual but was not really a problem. 

About a month ago I noticed the charge level would drop to about 50% before the charging would kick in. I was also getting notifications that I needed to connect a compatible charger to charge the battery. And the camera was using a lot of data. It would typically use about .3 Gb per month, but was using about 1 Gb per week. Caused me to exceed my monthly data plan with Verizon.

Then the battery completely discharged to 0%.

So I drove 2 hours to where my camera is, pulled it down from the pole it is mounted on, and charged the battery with the regular charging cable. I read that removing the battery and reinstalling it might help so I did that too.  Got the battery charged up to 14% before I had to leave. Reconnected it to the solar panel and put it back up on the pole. 

This morning all looked good, icon indicated the solar panel was charging and was up to 16%. But now it is not charging, charge is down to 14%, and I am getting the message to connect a compatible charger again. 

Anyone else seeing similar behavior?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jnavagh
Aspirant
Aspirant

I replaced the solar panel (it was under warranty and Arlo sent me a new one). It has been in place for 2 months and the camera has remained charged. So my issue appears to have been resolved. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Please reach out to the Support Team to further investigate this issue you are experiencing. You can find several options for contacting support though the Arlo Mobile App by navigating to Settings/System/Support.

Jnavagh
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have opened an Arlo support case. 

Retrieved the camera from its remote location and charged it with the home charger. It charged as expected to 100%. Now following the list of troubleshooting steps suggested by the support team. 

Sircnipul
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have had a problem with Arlo Go 2 cameras o Arlo solar panels battery drain. I spent a long time with Arlo support and Arlo eventually agreed the device was defective and replaced under warranty. The replacement also has the same problem. Spent time again with Arlo support. Once again they have agreed to replace the ( replacement) device.

i suggested that i assumed there was a regulator in this model of Go 2 camera which is defective.

.i have 3 Arlo Pro cameras on solar panels. All work perfectly

Jnavagh
Aspirant
Aspirant

I replaced the solar panel (it was under warranty and Arlo sent me a new one). It has been in place for 2 months and the camera has remained charged. So my issue appears to have been resolved. 

Jnavagh
Aspirant
Aspirant
  • Well, I spoke too soon. Yesterday the same problem returned. Battery level has dropped to 71%, camera and Solar panel are in full sun but not charging. And I am getting the same error message saying I need to connect an Arlo compatible charger. This stinks!
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Try this:

Disconnect the panel from the camera and clean both sides of the magnetic connection with a clean cloth that's wet with alcohol. Reconnect. I recently did this on a problematic connection and it's working well now.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation