Go 2 Camera light randomly turns on, doesn't turn off and drains battery

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
DDinOregon
Aspirant
Aspirant

Can anyone help me understand why my camera light randomly turns on and won't turn off?  I have seen it turn on for no reason while it's on charge, so I go into the app to turn it off manually.  I recently charged my camera to 100%, set it back up for monitoring yesterday morning, and today the battery is down to 16%.  I can only assume the light is the culprit for the battery drain.  There were no incidents recorded in the library that would be cause for this.  Is my camera bad?

12 REPLIES 12
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Could be faulty but there are some things to try. Reinsert the battery to get the camera back to a known state. You may need to remove and reset the camera before adding it back into your account - see the FAQ below:

https://kb.arlo.com/000062438/How-do-I-factory-reset-and-re-sync-my-Arlo-camera

Do you have activity zones defined? If so, delete them to verify that they aren't causing videos to be deleted.

DDinOregon
Aspirant
Aspirant

I followed the instructions on your link to remove the device and add it again. I cannot get past the prompt to name the device. I get

“Operation couldn’t be completed. ArloNetworking.ServerResponseError error 1” Can you help?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Start by rebooting the phone and reinstalling the app just to be sure. If you have another phone to try, what happens? I don't know what would trigger that message but it may be something about the network connection to the servers may have been the problem - does it work now? 

Do you have a subscription of any sort now, even a trial sub from another camera? If so, use the app to go to Settings, Support and choose your camera (or any one that shows). Scroll down to Contacts to see what official support may offer.

DDinOregon
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have deleted and reinstalled the app, then rebooted my phone.  I am not getting the error message, but the circle at the bottom of the screen continues to go around for over 10 minutes after trying to name the camera.  I am not trying to name it anything unusual, BTW.  I even tried to add the camera using my desktop computer at arlo.com.  I did not get the error message going this route, but on the same page asking me to name the camera and trying to go to the next step, it would send me to the log-in page every time, forcing me to restart the process again to add the camera for no good reason.  Maddening!  Please help.

DDinOregon
Aspirant
Aspirant

I called my cell service who sold me the unit.   They told me the camera needs to be resynced on your end, that the device needs to be re-registered through Arlo, noting the system knows my camera exists, but does not know what to do with me trying to register it again after deleting it...and again, this is to try and solve the problem of the security light coming on, not shutting off, and draining the battery.  This is a Go2 VML 2030.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@DDinOregon 

I have escalated this for you and Support will be reaching out to you as soon as possible.

DDinOregon
Aspirant
Aspirant

I spent 5 hours on the phone with your representatives and got no solution to make my camera work. What am I supposed to do with a brand new camera from you that won’t display video?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@DDinOregon wrote:

What am I supposed to do with a brand new camera from you that won’t display video?

Exchange it with the seller.

DDinOregon
Aspirant
Aspirant

Arlo sent this camera to me. It makes no sense Arlo would send me a camera and not exchange it. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@DDinOregon wrote:

Arlo sent this camera to me. It makes no sense Arlo would send me a camera and not exchange it. 

I think terms for return/exchange are often better at other storefronts.  You can return it within 30 days, but they will not refund shipping costs.  I don't know about exchanges.

You can also ask for an RMA (warranty exchange).  But there is a shipping cost for that also (Arlo pays to ship the replacement, but you need to pay to ship the problem camera back to them).

DDinOregon
Aspirant
Aspirant

I was not given an RMA option.  I was told by the Arlo rep that my case would be assessed and an email would be sent within a few hours.  The email I was sent was a link to a page with hints on fixing your camera, none of which were helpful because I have already spent 5 hours on the phone with Arlo troubleshooting.  It was quite insulting.  Arlo does not stand behind its cameras.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @DDinOregon 

Thank you for letting me know, I provided your info to our L3 team. Your escalation umber is here: 44126812

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation