Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

will " invite friends" work during trial period? or without a perm subscription?

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
mosbybranch1
Aspirant
Aspirant

I set up a 4 cam system and it is still under trial period.  I do not have a subscription, just still on trial period.            ( VMB4540r3 is base, with 3 essentials and 1 pro 4)

I wanted my friend to have access to view the cameras also. 

I have done numerous invites , which have been accepted, we have read trouble shoot page, etc.

but, the devices still do not show on his side .  

Here's what I've verified so far:

1. We're both running PCs with Windows OS

2. We're both running Chrome browser

3. Invite from my father's account (primary) was sent to me

4. I accepted the invite and created an account on Arlo (secondary)

5. Confirmed that full access permissions were granted to me and saved in the primary account

6. Confirmed that we're both running the same software version (ver 4.1.0_3)

7. Confirmed that the User Interface doesn't appear to be the same on the computer.

7A: Upon login, primary account dashboard toolbar has Device / Library / Mode / Settings / Logout across the top of the page.

7B: Upon login, secondary account dashboard toolbar has Dashboard / Feed / Emergency / Devices / Routines / Settings down the left hand side of the page.  

8: On secondary account, when on the dashboard or devices tab, the drop down menu at the top of the page has "home" check marked with a green dot beside it. 

8A: Would that "home" be the default you mentioned in an earlier response? 

8B: I have been unable to locate a drop down menu or similar on the primary account.

8C: The primary account shows the base station device, which is named, and the four individually named cameras linked to it. To view this, I have to select "settings" and then "my devices" in the primary account.

9:  Primary account access has been previously setup and accessed on my father's iPhone. (iOS / Arlo app updated to current version today 2/3/23)

10. Should be stated that the primary account is running on the trial version until Feb. 8, 2023. My initial thoughts when presented with this issue earlier today is that it was user access restrictions that are common with free trial accounts.

Does this play a role? 

What additional information or diagnostic details can I provide to help resolve this issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Basically, the issue is the mismatch of user interfaces (UI). Your father's account is using the 3.x UI while you're running the 4.x UI - they must match for sharing to work. Since you can't go from 4.x to 3.x UI, your father must migrate to the 4.x UI. If he chooses to do this, the easiest way is to choose to add either a Pro 5 camera or security system, even if he never intends to have either. The process will first migrate his account to 4.x after which he simply cancels the installation. There's a catch with this - no modes transfer over so he'll need to recreate what he has now using the 3 default modes supplied in the new UI. You can't add more modes so some scrambling may be needed.

The migration will also create a default Home for him as it did for you. You would need to click on your Home selection and choose the bottom one which will be his. I'd suggest at least one of you renaming your Home so as to make it easier to determine whose is whose.

SInce this is all new, both of you should thoroughly go through the new way of doing things. ANd ask questions here.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Basically, the issue is the mismatch of user interfaces (UI). Your father's account is using the 3.x UI while you're running the 4.x UI - they must match for sharing to work. Since you can't go from 4.x to 3.x UI, your father must migrate to the 4.x UI. If he chooses to do this, the easiest way is to choose to add either a Pro 5 camera or security system, even if he never intends to have either. The process will first migrate his account to 4.x after which he simply cancels the installation. There's a catch with this - no modes transfer over so he'll need to recreate what he has now using the 3 default modes supplied in the new UI. You can't add more modes so some scrambling may be needed.

The migration will also create a default Home for him as it did for you. You would need to click on your Home selection and choose the bottom one which will be his. I'd suggest at least one of you renaming your Home so as to make it easier to determine whose is whose.

SInce this is all new, both of you should thoroughly go through the new way of doing things. ANd ask questions here.

mosbybranch1
Aspirant
Aspirant

migrating the account to the new version worked.      

getting this to work (invite friends) would not have been possible without community support.

I do NOT care for the new platform, but it appears that's what all accts would end up with anyway. 

Only adding the pro 5 cam worked, ( didnt actually add, just tried too)

thanks to jguerdat,   guru for sure. !!!!