Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 15 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
alexbootman
Aspirant
Aspirant

I want to get different notifications from my cameras, e.g. one camera notifies me only when a person is detected, another when an animal, etc. Arlo app seems pretty confusing.

15 REPLIES 15
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@alexbootman wrote:

I want to get different notifications from my cameras, e.g. one camera notifies me only when a person is detected, another when an animal, etc. 

Select "settings" from the main page in the app, then select "smart notifications" Then select the camera you want to manage from the list.

At that point you can configure the notifications you want for that particular camera.

alexbootman
Aspirant
Aspirant

I did exactly as recommended. In fact, on Smart Alerts only People and Animated Preview are selected. Nonetheless I get notifications about Vehicle when a car moves in/out of garage, Motion when palm leaves are moving, etc.

And BTW, these events occur outside of the active area.

Here are the screenshots: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1jMiUIUlYTLQp-AlqioJ9Wy35lxgQBMh_?usp=sharing

What is wrong here?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@alexbootman wrote:

I did exactly as recommended. In fact, on Smart Alerts only People and Animated Preview are selected. Nonetheless I get notifications about Vehicle when a car moves in/out of garage, Motion when palm leaves are moving, etc.

And BTW, these events occur outside of the active area.

Are you using email notifications?  Unfortunately the smart alerts only work for push.

If you are using push, let us know - there was a recent fix for this issue, and if it's not working correctly for you then the mods ( @JamesC  or @ShayneS ) will probably want to follow up.

alexbootman
Aspirant
Aspirant

I do not know what you call 'push'. I get notifications on my Android phone (not by email).

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@alexbootman wrote:

I do not know what you call 'push'. 

Look in the mode/rule for the camera, and you will see there are two notification methods.  One is email, the other is a "push" notification (short for "web push").  https://www.arlo.com/en_fi/support/faq/42/What-are-modes-and-rules-and-how-does-Arlo-use-them

Scroll down to the bottom of the rule to see the notification section:

rule-2.png

alexbootman
Aspirant
Aspirant

Great information, but for a newbie as myself, a significant piece of information is missing: How Do I get to "mode/rule for the camera"?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Did you read the link in the previous post?

alexbootman
Aspirant
Aspirant

Of course I did. The page called "What are modes and rules and how does Arlo use them?"

Did you read my post? I do not know HOW to get there. I would assume that I should start with Settings, correct?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@alexbootman wrote:

I do not know HOW to get there. I would assume that I should start with Settings, correct?

Start with the mode control on the main screen.  Then choose to edit the mode (needed to see what's in it).  No need to actually change it.

alexbootman
Aspirant
Aspirant

probably I am dense, but here is what I see on Mode screen:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xL-utJKPADjZCYHodw5IfftjvVGum-ra/view?usp=sharing

Where is edit mode?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@alexbootman wrote:

probably I am dense, but here is what I see on Mode screen:

Where is edit mode?

To be clear - the reason to look at the rule/mode is to confirm that you are using push notification.  BTW. I expect you are.

To answer your question, you first select a camera (perhaps "front") by pressing the arrow next to "Armed" or "Disarmed" (which are both modes).

You'll then see a screen that has a list of all the modes for that camera (probably just Armed and Disarmed in your case).  There will be a pencil icon next to Armed, which enables editing.  Disarmed can't be edited (it is an empty mode that does nothing).

Press on that pencil, and you will see a rule that starts with "If motion on front".  There will also be a pencil after that.  Press it, and you will see the full camera rule.

The general format of a rule is 

If <something is detected> then do the following: <record video, activate siren, alert>

The notification method is in the Alert section at the end. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Adding to the configuration instructions posted here, we've had reports of Smart Alerts misbehaving for some users (notifications for activity outside defined zones and alerts for categories that have been toggled off still coming through).

The team is currently investigating these reports and testing another cloud fix to address these issues. The experience being described here could be related.

JamesC

alexbootman
Aspirant
Aspirant

So I guess, there is no satisfactory answer to my question still. I keep getting lots of false positives, especially when strong wind.

I want to add more issues:

1. Arlo UI is cumbersome and non-intuitive.

2. Battery (Arlo Pro, probably for Ultra it is even worse) is very weak. I had to recharge it on one of the most active cameras in 1 month(!).

3. Charging process is extremely inconvenient. I have to either 1) take the camera off its mount and then re-mount it adjusting its position each time, or 2) connect USB charger with the camera with long wire (in my case ~20 ft). The charging time is about the whole day.

Basically, I do not need to arm the cameras when I am at home. I need them when I am out for a long time, say 2-4 months. Unfortunately, Arlo Pro demonstrates it inability to satisfy my needs.

Very disappointing, considering their rather high price.

I'd rate it as 2 in 1-5 star range.

alexbootman
Aspirant
Aspirant

It's been more than a month since my original post. Things are getting even worse.

I had to change my ISP and WIFI. Now I am getting 'motion detected' notifications from the front camera every minute. When I go to Arlo/Devices screen, I see no new messages.

Charged front camera yesterday an its battery is 83% full already.

Is there any real tech support or I have to return all the cameras?

Very disappointed. Changing my rating to 1.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

alexbootman,

You can contact Arlo Support using the Arlo mobile app under Settings > Support.

Given the steps you've taken so far, I would suggest factory resetting the camera and onboard as if it were new. First navigate to Settings > My Devices > select the camera > Remove Devices.

Then factory reset following these instructions: https://kb.arlo.com/000062438/How-do-I-factory-reset-my-Arlo-wire-free-camera

After the reset is complete, try onboarding the camera again as if it were new.

JamesC