Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
mosbybranch1
Aspirant
Aspirant

I installed a Arlo essential  with hub back a few months ago for a cabin,  worked great and vids came to my phone in library with 30 day storage ( i did not buy a sub, but understand it came with a trial)

I liked it so well, i purchased another hub for my house and 3 of the arlo pro 4 cameras. 

everthing still worked well. 

I had to change my user interface  to the new one to add a friend so they could view cabin.

instead of a library , it now has a feed.

I get alerts , but no videos in feed, when i click on it, it goes to live . 

I understood I didn't need a subscription just a hub to be able to have videos stored for 30 days. 

my buddy has had one for years, and has never paid a subscription, and gets videos. he has a hub  

But I have not been able to get the videos to play, if i click on them it goes to live feed.. 

1- is a subscription required to be able to have the videos come to feed, ( since library is gone now)

2- did upgrading to the new user interface change this for me, so a subscription is now required to have videos stored for 30 days.?

3- both locations have their own hubs. 

hub is a vmb4540r3 with 4 essential camera firmware shows updated on app

12 REPLIES 12
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@mosbybranch1 wrote:

1- is a subscription required to be able to have the videos come to feed, ( since library is gone now)

hub is a vmb4540r3 with 4 essential camera firmware shows updated on app

Local videos are supposed to show up in feed, but there appears to be a bug there (or a mistake in the knowledge base articles).

Try

1. Launch the Arlo Secure App.
  2. Tap Devices.
  3. Tap ...
  4. Tap the settings wheel for your SmartHub.
  5. Tap Storage Settings.

You should be able to access the local recordings from there.

mosbybranch1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ive followed those steps , when i get to this point it will not allow me to click on that . 

But, this may have solved the problem. 

the note says i need a micro sd card to store locally, ive never had that before i updated to the new user interface. 

So, the question is, will i need a micro sd card to store videos so that will show up on my app?

If so, what brand / size other ? do you recommend ?

thank you

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Local recordings always need something for recording so the microSD card is definitely needed. Stick with a major brand and maybe use a 32-64GB size.

mosbybranch1
Aspirant
Aspirant

appreciate your help, Ill get one sent up  and see if that corrects the issue . 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jguerdat wrote:

Local recordings always need something for recording so the microSD card is definitely needed.

@mosbybranch1:  If you have a VMB4540 base, then you can't use a microSD - only the VMB5000 can accept that.  You need a USB thumb drive instead.  I'd go with 128-256 gb (since they are inexpensive).  Stick with a name brand though.

mosbybranch1
Aspirant
Aspirant

thank you, I might as well get 2 of them, the other base at my home  is same model.  

thank you very much!@

mosbybranch1
Aspirant
Aspirant

I  bought a couple of  drives to fit the routers, and made the trip up and inserted them in the base. 

i then changed the settings to add the usb and it shows as ready. 

at one point I did find the recordings showing on the usb, but it would not let me view them. 

and now i cant find them . 

this new format just sucks, i did the upgrade to be able to add a guest to view one location,  ( per recommendation on community support) but not the other. 

now I cant view any cameras except live. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@mosbybranch1 wrote:

I  bought a couple of  drives to fit the routers, and made the trip up and inserted them in the base. 

i then changed the settings to add the usb and it shows as ready. 

at one point I did find the recordings showing on the usb, but it would not let me view them. 

and now i cant find them . 

Instructions are here:

1. Launch the Arlo Secure App.
  2. Tap Devices.
  3. Tap ...
  4. Tap the settings wheel for your SmartHub.
  5. Tap Storage Settings.
  6. Navigate the Arlo Feed to view the last 30 days of video recordings.

Note this assumes you set up either port forwarding or a vpn.

mosbybranch1
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the one at house working,  it does not show in feed but i can find the clips in storage settings.

the one at cabin is not viewable:

1- do I have to be on same router as the system to view?    I've read that i may need to configure a vpn on the router and mobile device  to be able to view.   I have no idea what that entails.  

If my phone has to be on the same router as the system operates from, then the one at cabin is useless. 

2- if I delete all the devises at both locations, and the app on my phone , can i start over and just have the old user interface  like before ?  ( and have 2 accounts)  I went to the new interface  to add a guest, and have experienced difficulties ever since. 

I preferred them going to my library with the original interface vs feed and having to find them in storage under settings. . 

please understand, I am not tech savvy, we did not have computers in my educational years including college.  

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@mosbybranch1 wrote:

do I have to be on same router as the system to view?

Livestreaming the cameras should work  over the internet, so let's start there.

Seeing the locally stored videos remotely will require setting up either a VPN or port forwarding in the cabin router.  We can talk more about that once we get livestreaming working.

mosbybranch1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Livestream works both at home and cabin.

I can not access either location, unless I'm on same router as the base . 

I get the notifications on the phone, but they are not in feed, or storage when Im away from router

i click on device ( base)

I click on storage setting

I have record locally enabled

on local storage drop down, i have:  

best local recording, overwrite auto, view recordings and port forwarding all enabled. 

when  I click on Port forwarding , it shows it as enabled, but,

Status reads  'not available"  I have clicked on refresh ports but it does not change anything. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@mosbybranch1 wrote:

best local recording, overwrite auto, view recordings and port forwarding all enabled. 

when  I click on Port forwarding , it shows it as enabled, but,

Status reads  'not available"  I have clicked on refresh ports but it does not change anything. 

Did you also set up the port forwarding on your router?  That is an essential step.

Also, if the cabin router lets you reserve an IP address for the base station, it is best to do that - it makes sure that the forwarding always goes to the right device.