Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
Martyfair
Follower
Follower
Hello I'm trying to figure out why my camera will not record events, it will not show me a notification but works perfect when I go live! Thanks in advance!
9 REPLIES 9
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you checked your active mode in the Mode card? Click on Mode, click on your base or camera (depends on how you have the camera connected) and verify that your mode is at least using the Armed one.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Martyfair,

Adding to the above comment, Arlo Essential series cameras require an Arlo Smart subscription for recordings to be saved to the cloud. Do you have an active Arlo Smart trial or subscription?

JamesC

2020Vittorio
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same problem. I bought two cameras at Best Buy and realized later that they are "essential". they will not record. Now: I don't need a storage on the cloud. I just want to get notified on the phone if a movement is recorded.  

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Essential cameras do record if you have a subscription (you should have an automatic free 3 month trial when first installed) and/or local recordings on a USB drive if the camera is connected to a base or hub.

jaward11
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have one Arlo Essential that is connected to the VMB4000 base.  It will send my notifications on movement, but will not record the short video to the thumb drive on the base.  Why is this?  All my normal Arlo cameras save video to the base thumb drive.

2020Vittorio
Aspirant
Aspirant

Had the same problem. Received a mail from Arlo telling me that the "essential" model does not have recording features. The smart guys at Best Buy don't tell you this important aspect.

dcfox1
Master
Master

@2020Vittorio wrote:

Had the same problem. Received a mail from Arlo telling me that the "essential" model does not have recording features. The smart guys at Best Buy don't tell you this important aspect.

They do. But if connected to your home wifi and not a Hub/Base you would need a smart subscription for cloud recordings after your 3 month trial to smart expires. 

JavO86
Aspirant
Aspirant
Its supposed that the arlo essential cameras are connected to the hub, should I remove and reconfigure them? On live they are great but as the original question, i cant see the recordings (i have a usb on the base)
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@JavO86 wrote:
Its supposed that the arlo essential cameras are connected to the hub, should I remove and reconfigure them? On live they are great but as the original question, i cant see the recordings (i have a usb on the base)

If you do not have a subscription, then you are limited to local recordings on the USB device (or sd card in some cases). 

Local recordings do require that the camera be paired with a smarthub (VMB4540 or VMB5000) or a an older hub (VMB4000, VMB4500 for the Essential cameras).  There is a hub compatibility list here: https://kb.arlo.com/000062284/What-is-the-difference-between-each-Arlo-SmartHub-and-base-station

Access to the recordings depends on what hub you own.  If you have a smarthub, it is possible to access the local recordings from the app - but not a PC browser.  If you don't, then you need to eject the USB device from the base, and connect it to a PC.

There are other limitations.  Manual recordings can not be made.  Even if you have a smarthub, then you won't get thumbnails, and friend accounts won't be able to access the recordings. Remote access either requires you to set up a VPN or to forward ports in your router.  Many folks find this challenging.  

While there are folks here who live with these limitations, you will get the most utility by getting the subscription.