Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Using the siren for person, not motion or animal.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
HappySwede
Tutor
Tutor

I have four Arlo essential cameras around my cottage, since I'm not there all the time. I want the siren to go off when the system detects a person, so it can deter actual intruders, NOT go on every time the cameras see something move. (They trigger thirty times a day when shadows from the trees move with the wind, or when they see deer, rabbits, foxes, birds... The siren will be on constantly if it goes on for "motion")

I'm apparently not smart enough to set this up. Any advice would be most welcome.

2 REPLIES 2
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@HappySwede wrote:

I have four Arlo essential cameras around my cottage, since I'm not there all the time. I want the siren to go off when the system detects a person, so it can deter actual intruders, NOT go on every time the cameras see something move.

That's not something you can do today (though others have brought this up, so maybe Arlo is considering adding it).

One aspect is that the classification (people, animal, etc) is done in the Arlo cloud, not by the cameras.  So there likely would be a significant lag before the siren engages.

Activity Zones could help reduce unwanted alerts.  Have you tried those?

You could also try reducing the motion sensitivity.  It'd still trigger on larger animals (deer obviously), and likely trees moving in the wind.  But you can probably find a setting that won't trigger on the smaller animals, but still triggers on people.

Use the motion detection test, to make sure you don't lower it too far.  Once you find the right threshold in the test, you can then apply it in the Armed mode.  https://kb.arlo.com/41/How-do-I-change-the-motion-sensitivity-on-my-Arlo-camera

Adjusting the camera's field of view can also help with reducing unwanted alerts.  For instance raising the cameras.

One trick you can try is inverting the camera (and using the 180 degree flip setting in the app).  The cameras are more sensitive to motion at the bottom of the camera's field of view, and inverting the camera changes that to the top.  So inverting can reduce the amount of motion detected along the ground, but should still trigger on people as they approach the cameras.

HappySwede
Tutor
Tutor

Oh bummer. I'd rather have a lag and have it go off when there is a person than every time something moves. I've had 59 warnings thus far today for various animals, and I don't want to disturb the wildlife. They live there too. 

IMG_1234.jpg