Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
andy80
Aspirant
Aspirant

I got an Essential Spotlight camera. Thought it was an easy setup process but boy am I in for a ride.

Been at it for like an hour, and the app (or my.arlo.com on my desktop) will just not want to discover the camera.

I have tried everything, both phone and cameras connected to 2.4G network, network SSID and password are correct, i can even see both my phone and the arlo already connected to my Asus router in the network device list page in the router.

tried to factory reset the arlo, reboot router, everything done. nothing works. arlo app will just not see my the camera.

Pls help.... 

13 REPLIES 13
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@andy80 wrote:

I got an Essential Spotlight camera. Thought it was an easy setup process but boy am I in for a ride.

Been at it for like an hour, and the app (or my.arlo.com on my desktop) will just not want to discover the camera.

I have tried everything, both phone and cameras connected to 2.4G network, network SSID and password are correct, i can even see both my phone and the arlo already connected to my Asus router in the network device list page in the router.

tried to factory reset the arlo, reboot router, everything done. nothing works. arlo app will just not see my the camera.

Pls help.... 

Essential Gen 2?  Or the older (original) Essential?

Do you perhaps use a VPN?  If you do, it needs to be turned off during the install.

andy80
Aspirant
Aspirant

Its the old one, Gen 1, Essential Spotlight. I do not use any VPN service.

I spoke to an Arlo support chat guy, spent like almost an hour, tried everything but to no avail, all he ended up saying was it could be a defective cameras and asked me to seek a replacement...

kinda disappointing.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@andy80 wrote:

Its the old one, Gen 1, Essential Spotlight. I do not use any VPN service.

It is joining your wifi network, but the app (or PC) can't "discover" the camera later on.

If you have any internet security software running on the PC, disable it.   Also, if you can connect the PC with ethernet instead of using wifi, then try that.

andy80
Aspirant
Aspirant

yes, i can see the camera connected to the wifi, just that the app or desktop is unable to add the camera.

i do not have any internet securit software, i'm using a macbook. Tried ethernet too, but to no avail... =(

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

One other thing you can try:

1. turn off the wifi in the router
  2. create a hotspot in the phone that has the same wifi name/password as the router
  3. try to install on the phone, connecting the camera via the hotspot

If that works, then just turn off the hotspot and turn the router back on.

andy80
Aspirant
Aspirant

just did what you suggested.

1. switched off the router's 2.4Ghz wifi

2. I used a spare android phone (with mobile data connection) to create a hotspot with the exact same SSID and password as the router's 2.4Ghz wifi.

3. setup as per arlo secure app, able to see both my iphone and camera connected to the android phone.

4. tried to connect to the camera using the arlo secure app, same thing,"No Arlo devices found"

it is unlikely, but I am convinced that i may have a fault camera.....

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@andy80 wrote:

just did what you suggested.

1. switched off the router's 2.4Ghz wifi

2. I used a spare android phone (with mobile data connection) to create a hotspot with the exact same SSID and password as the router's 2.4Ghz wifi.

3. setup as per arlo secure app, able to see both my iphone and camera connected to the android phone.

4. tried to connect to the camera using the arlo secure app, same thing,"No Arlo devices found"

it is unlikely, but I am convinced that i may have a fault camera.....

It could be the camera, but the fact that it connects to your router suggests that it's not.

I was thinking you'd create the hotspot on the phone on which you were doing the install.  Can you try that?

andy80
Aspirant
Aspirant

do you mean to create the hotspot on the phone with the arlo secure app that is trying to connect to the camera?

unfortunately, it seems that the iphone does not allow me to change the SSID.

i will try to get my hands on another router tomorrow just to give it one last go. sigh... =(

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@andy80 wrote:

do you mean to create the hotspot on the phone with the arlo secure app that is trying to connect to the camera?

I did mean that.

@andy80 wrote:

unfortunately, it seems that the iphone does not allow me to change the SSID.

Yeah, I just confirmed that with my own iPhone.  I'd forgotten that limitation.  FWIW, apparently you can do it by changing the name of the phone.  Which is annoying.

But you could potentially install the Arlo app on the Android phone that created the hotspot.

andy80
Aspirant
Aspirant

i did a quick test, it seems like it is not possible to have the hotspot phone to use the arlo secure app to add cameras. when i run the arlo app on the phone with the hotspot, I am unable to setup the QR code in the app for the camera to scan.

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Were you able to get the camera to set up?

andy80
Aspirant
Aspirant

nope. I got a replacement camera with the distributor, but now I am consider letting it go and not using its since its such a hassle to setup.

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

I reached out to support to have them reach out to you and help set up the camera. They will get a hold of you as soon as possible.