Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 9 In Conversation
JC71
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just buy the camera, the Two way audio not work, when I push the talk button on my iphone 12 to talk it, no sound from the camera speaker.

Arlo essential firmware is 1.090.26.5_36_254dd1b

iPhone ios14.6

iPhone Arlo app microphone and location permission is on

12 REPLIES 12
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Look under settings of the camera ( audio ), confirm that the mic and speaker are toggled on

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
JC71
Aspirant
Aspirant

All on, the speaker volume is 100%

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

JC71,

Are you able to test using a different mobile device? Do you experience the same behavior?

JamesC

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@JamesC wrote:

Are you able to test using a different mobile device? Do you experience the same behavior?

Also, if you have a bluetooth headset you can connect to your iphone, it would be worth testing with that.

JC71
Aspirant
Aspirant
I test use iPhone 12,iPhone XR,iPhone 6,airpod ,shure bluetooth headset.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

JC71,

Given the troubleshooting you've already done, I recommend that you contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC

Andykaush
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same problem here. I had an Android phone and worked just fine on that. But just setup on my new iPhone 12 Pro Max and can’t hear anything as soon as I press the PTT button. Checked Audio settings, all ON and volume 100%. Checked phone settings all volumes at max. Can hear the sounds as far as I do not press PTT but when pressed, nothing.
craparlodoorbel
Initiate
Initiate

when the doorbell is pressed, and you answer it,  the video and video do not come through. been to al settings and no arlo camera or mic functions not mater where i go, been to support and unable too fix, keep getting reinstall, repair the doorbell, try of the base station network etc, this is 100% an app and ios issue, open to thoughts before i throw in the bin and go to google nest or ring

yusoman
Guide
Guide

I have the same issue. This is what I did to make it work. In the specific device settings, turn the audio to OFF. 

I had the same issue on two different iPhones w different iOS levels. This is now working 100% of the time.

The Arlo device must have a firmware/software issue. When the device audio is OFF, it must allow the iPhone when the iPhone is engaged in a two way comm to work.

Now, by having this OFF, if you go live and try to have a two way audio, the App will ask you to enable the Audio for the specific device. Then you can go from there directly to the settings, turn ON, and the LIVE two way audio works (also).

I have then tried the press the button, for Arlo to call, and the two way works, even when this is ON, but only after the cycle. 

At times, keeping the Audio ON would make it again NOT work, so I keep the Audio OFF to ensure that when I answer the phone, I am able to have the two-way comm to work!

This certainly smell like a NASTY and rather simple software or firmware bug that the Arlo design and test team missed. Makes one wonder about their quality process in design and test.

We own two Arlos (wired audio/video doorbell), since we have two homes in different states, both experienced the same exact issue. A third device that our kid owns, same issue w iPhone, but NOT w Android. Which leads me to think it may NOT be a firmware, but an iPhone App issue?

At any rate, I am quite disappointed. I did a lot of research, and this product has a lot to be desired at this point. I have a RING system, but went hybrid... thinking Arlo was a better product for this applications, since I do have and use Arlo Pro-4 Cams... but their Doorbell... questionable.

I have a case open... I told them... this is NOT a device issue... it is a software issue... they insist on sending me a warranty replacement. They are about to waste money, since I have two devices, both new, that I have swapped... same issue w both!

My case number, in case support reads this... where given their quality, I doubt, is: 42822639

SykesATL
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having similar issue.  If someone pushes the button, I answer the call. I can hear them but they cannot hear me.  If I just connect to the camera and select the microphone, then everything does work.  It must be an app problem.

yusoman
Guide
Guide

I was able to make this work. But stil, in my view there is an issue w either App or the Firmware on the device.

If you go to "Device Settings" for the Door Bell, then under "Audio" selected the "Audio Settings" and you turn the Microphone OFF (yes, it sounds strange, but humor me here) and then press the button on the Door Bell, and you answer the Phone, you will be able to have the two-way Audio work.

Subsequently,  go to the App, and connect live to the Door Bell, while live, attempt to have a 2-way audio conversation. You will be prompted to having to go to "Audio Settings" since you turned off to make the call-in 2-way audio to work. Here you then turn it back on, but via the "Live". From here on, both the "call-in 2-way" and the "live 2-way" seems to work.

This tells me that do to privacy, apparently for iPhone (aka Apple) this strange workaround bypasses the issue, and the firmware sets the 2-way for all (aka both) cases.

I have very surprised this operates this way, and that customers are NOT up in arms. I have 2 devices on two different homes. I had the same exact issue w both.

In both cases, this strange path to enable 2-way had to be followed. I am not 100% yet, if this sticks, and it is a concern since one needs to work 100% of the time.

I had a case in recent weeks where I had it working as stated above, and it stopped working. Where I had to re-do the process stated. 

gillesiii
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for the guidance.  I will try this today, and report the result.