Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Two Essential Arlo Cams Intermittently Lose Connection

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
myarlosdontwork
Tutor
Tutor

I have developed a game every day when I get home: which Arlo went offline today and how will I fix it?

I have two Arlo Cams close together (they were separate) and every day ONE of them loses connection and requires a reset of it (that whole discovery process is LONG). One is an H6 and another is an H8 if that makes a difference.

Specs are below in a Google Drive Folder: 

My Arlo 

I have moved the Home Base to a location that is VERY CLOSE to the cameras and our internet speeds are very high (we have the top tier for Fios). If you look in the folder above, the RED STAR indicates where the Home Base is (along with the router). Direct line of sight, just through the glass.

Every day, one of them loses connection. Usually, it is one where the spotlight is stuck in the ON position and I have to reset it to get it back. It doesn't really matter which one it is, either. One of them will go offline (it's been 12 days in a row).

I had them further apart and that didn't solve it. Moving them as close as possible didn't help.

Other things I have tried: 

• Moving the base station
  • Updated base station firmware
  • Moving the router
  • Swapping camera positions
  • Updated camera firmware
  • Increased our broadband speed
  • Getting a new SD card
  • Adjusting and even removing the activity zones
  • Factory Reset Home Base
  • Factory Reset all Cameras

None of the above have helped remedy the situation.

HELP. I don't want to go home and play that game! Why do they keep disconnecting?

FYI, there is a THIRD camera that has had a steady connection that is further away and blocked by a refrigerator and a brick wall, and it rarely disconnects, but it still does. The other two are a daily situation.

4 REPLIES 4
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@myarlosdontwork wrote:

Direct line of sight, just through the glass.

Is this low-E glass?  That can block WiFi.

myarlosdontwork
Tutor
Tutor

The windows were done in the last 5 years. TBH, I really don't know. They are double paned, tho.

myarlosdontwork
Tutor
Tutor

I found out: they are NOT low-e. And there is throughput because the other cameras all get internet and communicate with the base. 

I even have one Arlo that has been up for about 6 weeks with no connection error. I think it's because they are grouped together and one camera gets a LOT of traffic.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@myarlosdontwork wrote:

I even have one Arlo that has been up for about 6 weeks with no connection error. I think it's because they are grouped together and one camera gets a LOT of traffic.

Maybe try turning that camera off for a day or two (as a test).