Third party (Wasserstein) solar panels.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
RegularJoe
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Arlo supplied panels are $50 apiece.  Wasserstein are 3 for $88 on ebay at the moment.. probably are all the time. I'd just as soon get 3 for the price of 2...

I searched "wasserstein" in this group, and got one hit.... a guy's 3rd party panels, 2 of them, both quit charging at the same time.  The only response he got was "Arlo doesn't support 3rd party stuff".

I honestly can't see there being anything different in name brand vs. 3rd party as far as electrical output of the panels. I don't envision Arlo's panel manufacturer putting some sort of proprietary electronics in their panels that would make Arlo cam's recognize them and not the competition.

If they put out the same voltage/amperage and have the same male plug configuration, I say there's no difference.

The fact that the guy's panels both quit the same day.. .and he got things back to normal by just unplugging and re-connecting the cable... which was the subject of a short discussion here a while back when an software update screwed up everyone with panels charging their cameras...tells me that the W. brand is identical to the A. brand.

Spokesman giving the pat answer "it's not supported" without any supporting evidence or explanation of why they won't work... doesn't do much to deter me from using 3rd party panels and saving $50 dollars in the process.

Can ANYONE  definitively prove that W. brand panels won't perform just as well as an Arlo labeled panel?

1 REPLY 1
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

No knowledge as to the third party brands working or not..

Just that if you do have a problem with a third party item, complaining to Arlo will get you no where.

You'll have to go to the seller or maker of the product.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------