Subscription needed for Smarthub use?

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
MarkG123
Follower
Follower

I want to use the vmb5000 smarthub with my Essential Cameras and doorbell.  Do I need to have a paid Arlo subscription in order to access camera recordings on the smarthub?

Also what is the recommended MicroSD capacity size and class for use in the smarthub?

1 REPLY 1
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@MarkG123 wrote:

Do I need to have a paid Arlo subscription in order to access camera recordings on the smarthub?

That depends on your situation.  You do need a subscription if you want to access recordings from your browser.  You'd also need one if you want a friend or family member to access the videos from a "friend" account.

Another situation where a subscription is likely needed is if you are using mobile broadband or an internet service provider that uses CGNAT.  In that case, you could access local recordings when you are you home w/o a subscription, but not when you are away.

General limitations of direct access to local storage are

• recordings only available from the app (not the browser)
  • recordings only available using the primary account (not friend accounts)
  • no ability to make manual recordings or snapshots
  • no thumbnails, all videos need to be downloaded to your phone to view
  • remote access requires router settings that some find difficult (and which won't work with some internet service providers).

Cloud recording isn't the only subscription feature, smart notifications and activity zones also require the subscription.  That's a particularly important consideration with the doorbell, since its camera cannot be aimed.

@MarkG123 wrote:

Also what is the recommended MicroSD capacity size and class for use in the smarthub?

As far as Class goes, Arlo says:

Arlo recommends that you use a microSD card with a minimum of 16 GB capacity, Speed Class 10, UHS1, V10. The Arlo SmartHub supports up to class 10 UHS-3 V90 class microSD cards.

I use a 128 GB Samsung EVO Select card, which gives me more than enough retention.  Folks have had trouble getting cards of 1 TB or larger to work (and the bigger sizes are pricey).  So I don't recommend going over 512 GB.