Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
henle
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,
We have recently installed an Arlo Essential out-door camera to monitor the driveway outside our house. 

After setting up the "activity zones" we are still getting a lot of recordings of people and vehicles passing outside our property, not being inside the "activity zones".

We are by law not allowed to film outside our own property, so just having a view beyond our property boarders is unlawful.

Is there any software tool/setting to blur out certain areas of the camera view, such that recordings does not show these areas, or do I need to do this physically with a shade mounted on the camera?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
henle
Aspirant
Aspirant

That is the law in Norway; you as a private person are allowed to monitor your own property as long as everyone that use it (i.e. live there) are aware of the surveillance. But you are not allowed to monitor areas you do not own or are regarded as public. You need a permission from the authorities for such. The leading idea is that cameras are only to be used when other, less intruding measures, are not solving the problem.

How should they know what I'm filming you ask?
I do not want to know what my neighbors are up to when they are not on my properties, and I hope that everyone else feel the same towards us. It's about their privacy, and that it is not my business what other people are doing.

If we at some point want to report something to the police and use the video recording av evidence, we might end up in problems due to the cameras capturing areas they are not supposed, and the video may not be used as evidence due to it being obtain in an illegal way, and then some of the reasons for having the camera is lost.

Anyway, the solution:
By reposition the camera in a way that the property border becomes parallel to the frame of the image, we used the "zoom" function in the settings to reduce the cameras view to only inside the area we like to view. This has made the number of falls recordings to zero. It was not possible to reshape/rotate the zoom area in the initial view in order to block out unwanted areas. 
We have not found the reason for why the system saved recordings when the activity was outside the "activity zones". It might be due to the algorithm detecting movement inside these areas due to rain, snow, head lights shining into these area etc., while the movement outside the "activity zones" triggered the check.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

If you use the mobile app, can you select the camera settings icon and select the video settings, do you see a picture that you can use your fingers to spread the view to resize the picture to exclude the unwanted view? 

henle
Aspirant
Aspirant

I found that you may "zoom" the picture to not include certain areas. I will try this, but I need to tilt the camera to make the property boarder be a horizontal or vertical line in the camera view, since this camera only accept resizing and activity zones that are rectangles with vertical/horizontal edges.

RegularJoe
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Does someone from your community come look at your setup to ensure you're not videoing "outside" your property's boundaries?

Otherwise, how are they going to know what they are actually viewing?

I've noticed one thing about my Arlo cameras.. they have an extremely wide angle of view.  From where I have them aimed, you'd never think that you're under surveillance, standing off to one side or another, but you'd be fooled.

I'd be curious as to how they set up some rule against videoing outside our property boundary. I can understand not wanting someone aiming at your bedroom window or the likes, but sheesh...nothing outside your yard?

henle
Aspirant
Aspirant

That is the law in Norway; you as a private person are allowed to monitor your own property as long as everyone that use it (i.e. live there) are aware of the surveillance. But you are not allowed to monitor areas you do not own or are regarded as public. You need a permission from the authorities for such. The leading idea is that cameras are only to be used when other, less intruding measures, are not solving the problem.

How should they know what I'm filming you ask?
I do not want to know what my neighbors are up to when they are not on my properties, and I hope that everyone else feel the same towards us. It's about their privacy, and that it is not my business what other people are doing.

If we at some point want to report something to the police and use the video recording av evidence, we might end up in problems due to the cameras capturing areas they are not supposed, and the video may not be used as evidence due to it being obtain in an illegal way, and then some of the reasons for having the camera is lost.

Anyway, the solution:
By reposition the camera in a way that the property border becomes parallel to the frame of the image, we used the "zoom" function in the settings to reduce the cameras view to only inside the area we like to view. This has made the number of falls recordings to zero. It was not possible to reshape/rotate the zoom area in the initial view in order to block out unwanted areas. 
We have not found the reason for why the system saved recordings when the activity was outside the "activity zones". It might be due to the algorithm detecting movement inside these areas due to rain, snow, head lights shining into these area etc., while the movement outside the "activity zones" triggered the check.