Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Object detection and integration with Smartthings

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
BillUhr
Guide
Guide

My Essential camera does a good job of identifying persons vs dogs.  Is there a way to utilize that information to prevent my dog from setting off the intrusion alert in Smartthings? 

Is there a difference in object detection and Smartthings functionality between having the camera connected through the hub vs WiFi direct?

Can activity zones be used to prevent the dog from setting off the Smartthings alert?

Thanks for any comments.

Bill

4 REPLIES 4
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

The partner integrations can not differentiate with Smart object detection at this time? 

BillUhr
Guide
Guide

Thanks for the response but it's worth noting the difference between the email message that I received and the message on the website forum.  The word "not" can be quite important. 🙂

<Email below>

Email.jpg

<Website below>

Web forum.jpg

JNiagara
Aspirant
Aspirant

Can you expand on this?

I'm interested in triggering smartthings routines from person detection using the Arlo Doorbell. Can this be done in smartthings? If not, can it be done in other partner platforms?

BillUhr
Guide
Guide

My experience is with the Arlo cameras.  I suspect the doorbell is similar.  When they detect motion they notify smartthings that there is motion and smartthings reacts according to how it's programmed for motion.  Smartthings does not differentiate about what caused the motion.  The Arlo cameras also send the information to the Arlo servers to process and decide what triggered it.  The Arlo servers will then send that information as programmed to do.  So Smartthings will likely trigger an alert and Arlo will send you a notification about what caused it.  I don't have experience with other platforms.  Good luck.