Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
jdearm2
Guide
Guide

I am used to free 7day video storage, so when I get a motion detection, a bunch of things happen.

* I get a push notification with a link to a 10sec video of the motion

* I get an email with a snapshot (still picture) of the triggering motion which is really nice, and also I get a link to the 10sec detected motion video.

* The video is placed in my video library on the video app and stored for 7 days

My question is, with the new cameras and no subscription and therefore no cloud storage I guess, I assume the last library one goes away, but does the email still shot go away also, and the 10sec video associated with the links in the push notification , and the email notification video link??   Leaving you with no way to view what just happened other than poping out an SD card and sticking it in your computer???

I just ordered some Essential Spotlight cameras, and I am wondering if I did the right thing.

Thanks,    jdearm2

6 REPLIES 6
jdearm2
Guide
Guide

Clarification, the push notifications actually take you to a Devices view in the App which shows the frozen video view of the last trigger time which is nice.   The email gives you the same "still" right in the email, but then has a video link to the 10sec video that was recorded.   Again, any chance that at least these two "stills" taked about above still work with no subscribtion on the Essential Spotlight (newer cameras)?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jdearm2 wrote:

Again, any chance that at least these two "stills" taked about above still work with no subscribtion on the Essential Spotlight (newer cameras)?

No, you won't get thumbnail images in the notifications w/o a subscription.

jdearm2
Guide
Guide

Thanks.

One last clarification, sorry to beat a dead horse, but just making sure;     So in Devices view, will that still show the last trigger pic frozen until you hit play like my legacy cameras or not even that?

Regards,   Jay

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jdearm2 wrote:

So in Devices view, will that still show the last trigger pic frozen until you hit play like my legacy cameras or not even that?

Not sure what that will show (I have a subscription and can't check). 

My guess is that the app might cache the image from the last time you livestreamed - which would not be the last trigger, and would be only on the phone. 

AFAIK, no cloud storage means exactly that - no cloud storage at all.

jdearm2
Guide
Guide

Ok, but neither the email notification still pic nor the Devices screen "last trigger image on each device or last live stream" wouldn't really require cloud storage as you have alluded when you mentioned the last live stream on the devices.

Thanks,    Jay

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jdearm2 wrote:

Ok, but neither the email notification still pic nor the Devices screen "last trigger image on each device or last live stream" wouldn't really require cloud storage as you have alluded when you mentioned the last live stream on the devices.

I agree on the email.

The app might be closed (or the phone not connected) when the trigger occurs, so showing the last triggered image would require storage .

The net here is that Arlo has intentionally crippled the direct access to local storage feature.  They could have provided the same features with local storage as they do with cloud storage - but they have chosen not to do that.  IMO a bad strategy on their part, but it is what it is.