New Arlo App

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Bob123A
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi, really struggling with the Arlo App that has the new 3 Modes and Routines and Automation. 
Does anyone have any advice on how i set up the following?

I want my front door camera on 24/7 whether i'm home or not. 
I want my driveway camera only on if i'm not home or between 10pm and 7am

I want the rest of my cameras only on between 10pm and 7am

Having a lot of issues with battery drain on phone and cameras. My driveway camera is on solar charge and has not used more than 10% battery in a day for the last 8 months. 
Installed the new app, drained my phone and camera in one day. 

Have reinstalled the app as well as had the common issue where sound was being recorded without the camera being on. 

So far, new app is a massive fail, will do anything to go back to the old one

5 REPLIES 5
Edinburgh_lad1
Prodigy
Prodigy

With regards to the set up, I posted a guide on this forum how you can set up different modes and automations. However, in your case, you also want geofencibg to be on and I believe there is an issue with that on Apple phones. Someone can correct me, though, if I'm wrong.

The issue of sound may be linked to what was raised in relation to doorbell streaming in the background. Look for that post on this forum and there's a suggested solution: you'll have to remember to press stop every time you do live view, as if you exit the app without doing it, it'll stream randomly in the background. 

The issue of draining: there was a bug in the Android/Apple app/firmware that didn't show the accurate levels of battery when connected to a solar panel. I can see that my ultra now charges daily whereas previously, it'd show 100% most of the time. 

These are just suggestions, and your issue could be somewhere else.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Bob123A wrote:
  1. I want my front door camera on 24/7 whether i'm home or not. 
  2. I want my driveway camera only on if i'm not home or between 10pm and 7am
  3. I want the rest of my cameras only on between 10pm and 7am

There is a problem with combining geofencing+scheduling, it is not possible to get that fully working.  Hopefully Arlo will fix that.

The info below is as close as you can get right now to what you want:

Start by modifying your modes:

1. Change standby to arm the front door camera, leaving the others disarmed (no rule for those)
  2. Change Armed Home to only arm the driveway camera and the front door camera.
  3. Make sure Armed Away is set to arm all your cameras

Then create a schedule to

• Switch to Armed Away at 10 pm
  • Switch to Standby at 7 am

Finally set up geofencing so

• Arrive switches to Armed Home
  • Leave switches Armed Away

The problems here are that due to the bugs

1. if you arrive home during the day, you will end up with more cameras armed than you want
  2. if you are away for more than one day, the schedule will disarm the drive camera during the day.

To work around these issues you need to 

1. disable the schedule when you are leaving for an extended period
  2. manually switch the mode to "Standby" after you arrive home during the day

For now it might be simpler to not set up geofencing, and switch to Armed Home at 10 pm instead of Standby.  Then manually switch to Standby when you want to disarm the driveway camera.

Bob123A
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the info, will take a look at your guide. 
I am on Samsung so first issue should be a prob, and both phone and app are on latest versions. 

Bob123A
Aspirant
Aspirant

thankyou, great instructions and will give them a go. 

Its extremely frustrating though that we had an app that was working without issue, and now we need to go back to manual solutions. 
They may as well have put an on/off switch on each camera with no app, would have worked the same as what you get at the moment with the app. 

thanks again

Ispy23
Guide
Guide

Yeah, they sure cluster (F'ed) this up didn't they?  Can't even set my cameras up on a schedule anymore. I'm such an idiot to even download their new app thinking it would've been so much better. I want some written instructions on how to proceed in an orderly fashion, but I can't find anything. their instructions don't even show up on their app like a pencil or different modes and what the hell with this clock?