Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Motion detection on Arlo Essential XL Spotlight

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Akobu
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a question about the type of motion detection on the Essential XL Spotlight. Is it based on IR detection. 

I am asking because I have problems with other cameras because they are placed behind a window and so IR does not work.

As I saw that no Arlo Wire-Free Camera offer a simple schedule recording without motion detection, I have to make sure that the motion detection works behind windows.

Thanks a lot in advance for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Akobu wrote:

I have a question about the type of motion detection on the Essential XL Spotlight. Is it based on IR detection. 

I am asking because I have problems with other cameras because they are placed behind a window and so IR does not work.

The Essential XL spotlight uses passive IR detection, so going through windows is problematic.

There is an Essential Indoor camera you could use that has pixel-based detection.  It doesn't have a battery, so it does need AC power nearby.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Akobu wrote:

The Essential XL spotlight uses passive IR detection, so going through windows is problematic.

There is an Essential Indoor camera you could use that has pixel-based detection.  It doesn't have a battery, so it does need AC power nearby.

Akobu
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks a lot for your help and your recommendation.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Akobu wrote:

Thanks a lot for your help and your recommendation.

Happy to help.

A couple things to add (likely you've already considered them). 

• The area will need to be well-lit at night if you are relying on pixel detection.
  • Reflections off the glass can be problematic.

Another way to proceed is to get a third-party camera mount that can be attached to the outside of the glass.