Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Last installed camera getting alerts but not recording video

Discussion stats
  • 35 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
billrigsby
Aspirant
Aspirant
I installed my fifth Arlo essential wireless and I'm getting several alerts but it is not recording any video feeds when I go and log into the device and make it live I can see it but I cannot record anything from that like I can the other four cameras. Firmware is up to date I will admit I bought this on eBay it was open box but in my opinion it was a used I don't see how that would affect it's recording abilities. I have removed it and added it restarted the base tried several different things. I know you do not need a subscription to record video so any help would be appreciated. Thank you
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Madnmoshat
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hello. Just wanted to let you know that I finally got in touch with Arlo support. The person I talked to got me hooked up. My account had somehow got deactivated and I uninstalled all of my camera's the reinstalled them and he got my 90 trial activated again and everything is working great. I want to thank all of you that took the time to help me out. Happy n Moshat.

View solution in original post

35 REPLIES 35
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@billrigsby wrote:
. I know you do not need a subscription to record video 

That's incorrect.  All cameras launched after 2018 need a paid subscription for cloud recording.  That includes Pro 3, Pro 4, Ultra, and Arlo Essential models.  

What camera model did you purchase?

billrigsby
Aspirant
Aspirant
Sorry I wasn't clear, I am recording to a USB drive, through the base station. The last I bought was an Arlo essential spotlight, just like the other four, only this one is white not black.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@billrigsby wrote:
Sorry I wasn't clear, I am recording to a USB drive, through the base station. 

Thx for clarifying - then  of course you should be seeing the recordings.  Have you checked the rule for the camera?  

Note there is a bug in the Android app (the 3.5.1 update from 20 July).  It won't show any local recordings at present.   So that might also be the problem (assuming a VMB4540 that has direct access to local storage configured).

billrigsby
Aspirant
Aspirant

By 20 / July I guess you mean July 20th of this year? That seems to be the version I have, I'm not sure what you mean by check the rule of the camera. I have only had Arlos for about a month but the other four function fine. Can you be more specific about the rule of the camera?
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@billrigsby wrote:

By 20 July I guess you mean July 20th of this year? That seems to be the version I have,

Yes.  Are you using Android or iOS?

@billrigsby wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean by check the rule of the camera. 

https://kb.arlo.com/42/What-are-modes-and-rules-and-how-does-Arlo-use-them

Go into the "armed" mode, and look for a rule for the last camera.  If there isn't one, then add it.  If there is one, then make sure it includes the recording step.

dcfox1
Master
Master

@billrigsby wrote:

By 20 / July I guess you mean July 20th of this year? That seems to be the version I have, I'm not sure what you mean by check the rule of the camera. I have only had Arlos for about a month but the other four function fine. Can you be more specific about the rule of the camera?

He meant the rule for the camera under the active mode you have. Here is a link to explain. Make sure it is set to record like your others. 

What are modes and rules and how does Arlo use them?

Edit: We were replying at the same time. Didn't mean to repeat. 

billrigsby
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, I am on Android.

Okay thanks, I found it, back of garage is set to if motion is detected, record video and it is set to up to 300 seconds.

I reset it just for grins we'll see what happens, but all four cameras were set the same way.

Maybe it could be the camera who knows. Thanks for your help I'll play with it some more.
billrigsby
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you, no worries about repetition.
billrigsby
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thank you, no worries about repetition.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@billrigsby wrote:

Yes, I am on Android.

Are you looking for recordings on the app, or are you putting the USB drive in your PC?

You won't be able to see any local recordings in the app, until Arlo fixes the bug they introduced last week.

billrigsby
Aspirant
Aspirant

Okay so now I can see the recordings if I put the USB drive in my PC, thanks. However, how come I can see recordings on all of the other cameras? Is that because they still have the free trial running? And when the free trial runs out in <three months and the bug is not fixed I will not be able to see anything on the app is that how this is going to work?

The bug must extend to the app on the computer also because I cannot see any of the recordings from the last camera on my PCI there without using/removing the USB drive.
dcfox1
Master
Master

@billrigsby wrote:

Okay so now I can see the recordings if I put the USB drive in my PC, thanks. However, how come I can see recordings on all of the other cameras? Is that because they still have the free trial running? And when the free trial runs out in <three months and the bug is not fixed I will not be able to see anything on the app is that how this is going to work?

The bug must extend to the app on the computer also because I cannot see any of the recordings from the last camera on my PCI there without using/removing the USB drive.

You can still see the cloud recordings of the cams in the App library for the cams still on the trial. The bug is just for viewing local recordings. I would think Arlo should have this bug fixed soon since it is so widespread with Android App. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@billrigsby wrote:
 I cannot see any of the recordings from the last camera on my PC there without using/removing the USB drive.

You need a subscription to see them directly on the PC.  You only have direct access to local storage in the app (which is broken at the moment).

billrigsby
Aspirant
Aspirant

Okay, thank you I'm getting the hang of all this, I'm only about two or three weeks in, so just call me the Newbie.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@billrigsby wrote:

Okay, thank you I'm getting the hang of all this, I'm only about two or three weeks in, so just call me the Newbie.

No problem, it does take a while to get it all sorted out.

It'd be good if Arlo could make it all a bit simpler.

Madnmoshat
Aspirant
Aspirant
First off my model # is VMC2330W and it is not shown in the list to pic from. I bought 3 in a pack just over a week ago. When I first hooked them up, they worked fine. Then after a few days they stopped recording video. It sends notifications but does not record. I bought these brand new from Walmart. I also bought a pro 3 floodlight which was working fine too. Model# FBK1101. It also stopped recording. I am very frustrated and thinking about returning them all before my 30 days is up.
Madnmoshat
Aspirant
Aspirant
The 3 pack of arlo essential camera's I bought were white. They were just fine for about the first 3 days. Then they stopped recording video's and just sends alerts. So disgusted.
Madnmoshat
Aspirant
Aspirant
My camera's are a model VMC2330W THEY don't even offer that model to select from. My camera's stopped recording and now only send notifications which are useless with no video.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Madnmoshat wrote:
My camera's stopped recording and now only send notifications which are useless with no video.

Have you checked that they are still covered by the trial subscription?  

You can use my.arlo.com for this.  Go in to settings, and then select "subscription" from the left pane.

Madnmoshat
Aspirant
Aspirant
My subscription should be good. I just bought the cameras less than 2 weeks ago. They were working fine until the update. It hasn't been recording for almost a week. And it is using up my free time which I should be credited for since it's not recording. I spent close to one thousand dollars for this equipment. If y'all can't resolve my problem, I will be taking it back for a refund before my 30 days are up.
Madnmoshat
Aspirant
Aspirant
billrigsby
Aspirant
Aspirant
I sent all of the Essential cameras back to Amazon the one I bought on eBay I repackaged and just relisted it on eBay.

I replace them all with the Arlo Pro 3 cameras, so far things are working okay but I've also looking at other options.

I think this technology would have been good 10 to 15 years ago, Arlo seems like a company that just rested on its laurels and did not do any innovations, well with the exception of magnetic mounts.

We'll see how the pro 3s work, I still don't think the resolution is all that great maybe I'm expecting way too much for this caliber of a camera. Also looking at the eufy and Reolink systems as a backupplan. One good thing about Amazon free trial for a month and free returns.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Madnmoshat wrote:
My subscription should be good.

Should being the key word.  

I still recommend checking it, by going in the subscription area in the app or my.arlo.com. 

If the subscription is active, then try making a manual recording, and seeing if that works.  If it does, check that the active mode is telling the cameras to record.  https://kb.arlo.com/42/What-are-modes-and-rules-and-how-does-Arlo-use-them

If those steps don't help resolve it, then try support (using the link in the upper right of the forum page).

Madnmoshat
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have looked at your links. They do not apply to my situation. I am just into week 2 of my 3 month Arlo free trial. I have 3 Arlo Essential spotlight games and 1 floodlight camera. They were fine until after the last update. Last update, being the key words here. You don't seem to be able to help with my situation. I will just return them before my 30 days are up. Will not recommend Arlo.