Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Lag After Installing New Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Jo060
Luminary
Luminary

I've had 3 Essential Spotlight cameras for about 2-3 weeks and other than a few minor issues, they've worked fine. I understand and expect that WiFi camera will come with a delay.

The 3 cameras I had installed had a 12-second delay upon starting live view, but after live view loaded, the delay was approximately 5 seconds.  I was looking around BestBuy's website and noticed a 4 pack of cameras going for less than the 3 pack I had previously purchased.  I took down the 3 cameras, deleted them via the app and put the newer 4-pack up in the exact same spots.

Ever since I installed the new cameras, the delay is very long. To initiate a live view takes at a minimum of 30-35 seconds, and after loading, the delay is an additional 35-40 seconds after that with a very spotty feed.

I have tried lowering the quality which lessened the delay but greatly sacrificed the quality. 

I checked WiFi congestion which is at a minimum. My current 2.4ghz internet speed is 45 up and 20 down on my laptop, but on my phone (significantly smaller antenna) is approximately 9 up.

I readded an old camera and it's now having the same issue. I'm not sure why they're having issues all of a sudden.

I've tried restarting the modem/router, deleting all cameras and adding them again, and restarting them multiple times.

I did create a ticket via online chat. There were basic troubleshooting steps that were followed, but the conversation ended with the agent saying he's going to talk to his team about this and E-mail me back later....Which seems to be the normal response with any tech issue.

FWIW, recordings are working fine with no delay.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jo060
Luminary
Luminary

I guess my router (4-5 years old) just so happened to show its age. I replaced to a mesh system and it's flying now.

5 second connect time, 3 second live lag.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Jo060 wrote:

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Did you try restarting your router? (oops - just saw that you did.  Still might be worth doing again).

Also, have you tried this both when the phone is connected to your wifi, and when it is not?

Jo060
Luminary
Luminary

I guess my router (4-5 years old) just so happened to show its age. I replaced to a mesh system and it's flying now.

5 second connect time, 3 second live lag.