Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

I can not connect my arlo essential spotlight to my wifi with no password

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Isiah
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am trying to connect my Arlo Essential spotlight but it does not let me. I type in my ssid BUT my wifi has no password. There is no link you have to click to get into the Wifi, its just like any other wifi just no password.  I leave the spot blank and my camera will no connect to it. I have tried to factory reset and that wont work either, I also tried connecting it to another account. Please help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Isiah wrote:

So are you telling me I NEED a password to connect my cameras? 

Yes.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

Is the wifi your trying to connect your arlo camera to your personal local router modem or a common use wifi system such as in a nursing home complex?

The camera will only connect to a secure wifi using a password. WPA2 usually. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Specifically, the WiFi network MUST be using WPA2-AES for encryption. You should have been using this all along regardless of cameras to keep your network safe.

Isiah
Aspirant
Aspirant

It is my families personal router

Isiah
Aspirant
Aspirant

Jguerdat 

So are you telling me I NEED a password to connect my cameras? Thanks for your help so far!

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Isiah wrote:

So are you telling me I NEED a password to connect my cameras? 

Yes.

Isiah
Aspirant
Aspirant

If I had the base station connected with ethernet would that work? Thanks for your help, means alot!

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

@Isiah 

Since you’re trying to use your own wifi router it should be already configured with a password, look on the equipment for the SSID and password details. 

Some routers can allow you to provide a guest SSID that doesn’t require a password so visitors can access wifi internet like in cafes, restaurants etc.

The arlo Base station can also be used instead of direct wifi. The base provides it’s own secure wifi that only the arlo cameras can connect to.

https://kb.arlo.com/000062514/How-do-I-connect-my-Arlo-device-directly-to-a-Wi-Fi-router 

Jules144
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a password and my cameras still wont connect

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Jules144 wrote:

I have a password and my cameras still wont connect

1. The wifi security needs to allow WPA2 (AES) security
  2. punctuation/special characters in the network name/password often cause issues, and need to be removed.

Also, if you are onboarding from the app, I suggest trying to use a PC (browse to my.arlo.com) instead.  That often works when the app fails.

If you can disable 5 ghz wifi while onboarding, that often helps too.