Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Extending range of Essential Spotlight Camera to 900'

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
cjf77351
Aspirant
Aspirant

We have 10 acres and need to place two Essential Spotlight Cameras about 900' from the Base Station, WiFi Router or Smart Hub. Any suggestions?

4 REPLIES 4
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@cjf77351 wrote:

We have 10 acres and need to place two Essential Spotlight Cameras about 900' from the Base Station, WiFi Router or Smart Hub. Any suggestions?

Likely you won't be able to use a smart hub.

One option is to invest in an outdoor wifi system that can reach the two cameras. Not something I've done myself, but one starting point here would be Ubiquiti (www.ui.com)  

Another option is to use Go 2 cameras that connect to mobile data, so you don't need wifi.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

900 feet is simply too far. The Go 2 may be a better solution but you could try to add WiFi repeaters if there's power for them.

JKLRPnut
Aspirant
Aspirant
If I set up a camera likely it won’t record out of the 25 ft spotlight at night, how far does it record images in the day? #essentialoutdoorgen1
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@JKLRPnut wrote:
If I set up a camera likely it won’t record out of the 25 ft spotlight at night, how far does it record images in the day? 

This is unrelated to the OP's question (wifi range isn't related to motion detection range).

The outdoor cameras and doorbells use a passive infrared (PIR) sensor to detect motion.  The range varies some, depending on the model, but is generally spec'd at 20-25 feet for the cameras (and somewhat less for the doorbells).  They will pick up some motion beyond that range (for instance, vehicles), but not reliably.

The indoor essential cameras use pixel detection, so they can detect motion at a much greater distance (and through glass, though reflections will impair the recordings). 

Some outdoor cameras will switch to pixel detection when they are AC powered (not on battery and not on solar).  But not the Essentials.