Essentials no longer recording

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Hydrefcariad
Follower
Follower

As with many others, I did not realize the Arlo Essential cameras would no longer save recordings which are accessible through the app (as I have with my older cameras). If I buy the VMB5000 base, will that solve the issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Hydrefcariad wrote:

As with many others, I did not realize the Arlo Essential cameras would no longer save recordings which are accessible through the app (as I have with my older cameras). If I buy the VMB5000 base, will that solve the issue?

FWIW, this is old news as Arlo stopped offering free cloud storage on new camera models back in 2018.

VMB4540 and VMB5000 bases both support the direct access to local storage feature. Note that essential gen 2 cameras can't be connected through a base yet (Arlo says that is coming - but if you have a gen 2 camera, then I wouldn't purchase a smarthub until that feature is released).

There are a lot of limitations:

• recordings only available from the app (not my.arlo.com)
  • recordings only available using the primary account (not shared "friend" accounts)
  • no ability to make manual recordings or take snapshots
  • no thumbnails - videos need to be downloaded to the phone before viewing
  • remote access requires router setting changes that some find difficult (and which won't work with some internet service providers)

In addition, the videos do not show up in the "Feed" in the 4.0 user interface.  There are a couple of extra steps needed to reach the recordings.

While many do use this instead of a subscription, personally I think the subscription is a better way to go.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Hydrefcariad wrote:

FWIW, this is old news as Arlo stopped offering free cloud storage on new camera models back in 2018.

VMB4540 and VMB5000 bases both support the direct access to local storage feature. Note that essential gen 2 cameras can't be connected through a base yet (Arlo says that is coming - but if you have a gen 2 camera, then I wouldn't purchase a smarthub until that feature is released).

There are a lot of limitations:

• recordings only available from the app (not my.arlo.com)
  • recordings only available using the primary account (not shared "friend" accounts)
  • no ability to make manual recordings or take snapshots
  • no thumbnails - videos need to be downloaded to the phone before viewing
  • remote access requires router setting changes that some find difficult (and which won't work with some internet service providers)

In addition, the videos do not show up in the "Feed" in the 4.0 user interface.  There are a couple of extra steps needed to reach the recordings.

While many do use this instead of a subscription, personally I think the subscription is a better way to go.