Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
Smithlss50
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have just purchased 4 new Essential Spotlight cameras. I currently have 2 Arlo pro2 cameras and a VMB station. My question is “How should I hook the new Essential spotlight cameras up? Thru my base station or thru WiFi?  I do not currently have a subscription since the Pro2 did not require one. My current service notify me of motion and records a short video of same. Then I can review back 30 days before it is deleted. Do I still have that option if I connect the new cameras to the base station? Or does it matter?  Will I need to get a subscription for the new cameras to work the same way? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Smithlss50 wrote:
Should I hook my new Essential spotlights up to the old base station or go directly to WiFi.

If it's in range of the base, then I'd connect it to the base.

I have three reasons:

• If everything is connected to a base, then some functions become simpler (disarming, schedules, geofencing)
  • You can get local backup recordings if you use a base. 
  • Homekit requires a base (only applies if you want to use that feature of course).

But if the connection to the base is marginal, then see if WiFi works better.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Smithlss50 wrote:

I do not currently have a subscription since the Pro2 did not require one. My current service notify me of motion and records a short video of same. Then I can review back 30 days before it is deleted. 

Actually the free cloud storage with your Pro2 cameras is 7 days, not 30.

@Smithlss50 wrote:

Do I still have that option if I connect the new cameras to the base station? 

No.  All the newer cameras (starting with the Ultra in 2018) require a subscription to get cloud storage.  It doesn't matter whether you connect the cameras to the base or whether you connect them to home wifi.  Either way, you will need a subscription for cloud storage.

If you upgraded the base to a smarthub (VMB4540 or VMB5000), then another option would be direct access to local storage: https://kb.arlo.com/000062337/What-is-Direct-Storage-Access-and-how-do-I-use-it

There are some downsides that the above article doesn't tell you about:

• Direct Access only works with the app - not with the web browser
  • Only the primary account can see the recordings - not "friend" accounts.
  • Manual recordings are not supported
  • Thumbnails are not available.
  • Remote access is possible, but can be difficult to set up.
Smithlss50
Aspirant
Aspirant
You are correct. Only 7 days. Don’t know what I was thinking. Thanks for the great information.
And if you don’t mind I have another question. Should I hook my new Essential spotlights up to the old base station or go directly to WiFi.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Smithlss50 wrote:
Should I hook my new Essential spotlights up to the old base station or go directly to WiFi.

If it's in range of the base, then I'd connect it to the base.

I have three reasons:

• If everything is connected to a base, then some functions become simpler (disarming, schedules, geofencing)
  • You can get local backup recordings if you use a base. 
  • Homekit requires a base (only applies if you want to use that feature of course).

But if the connection to the base is marginal, then see if WiFi works better.