Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Connecting Arlo to mesh network (Deco TP-Link PX50 with 4 x Arlo H9 Outdoor Essential cameras)

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
arlospain
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello,

Sorry to ask a question that may have already been asked, and perhaps answered, but there are so many posts on this subject, each with different answers 😞

As of now, 27th February 2024, can the main Arlo router be plugged in to a mesh device (via ethernet) and then can the  Arlo cameras then access the wifi signal via the mesh satellite nodes? Or can the cameras only access the Arlo router itself?

I have plugged my Arlo via ethernet in to my main Deco PX50 mesh satellite. However, if I look in the Deco app, my cameras have low wifi signal, even though they are much nearer to many mesh satellites. I tried running Deco mesh on  2.5 Ghz only - no change. 

Appreciate help. Thank you.

Arlo H9 Essential cameras x 4

Firmware: 1.090.32.1_55_07e3402

Deco Mesh PX50 x 3

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The hub is not essential in your case. Removing the whole system and then adding the cameras directly to WiFi should solve your issue. The hub need not even be connected and could be returned or sold.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If you wish to use a hub for connecting the cameras, your mesh network has nothing to do with those connections. The hub connects via Ethernet and then all cameras connect to the hub's WiFi. Of course, the Essential cameras all can connect to your own WiFi if that helps solve a problem.

arlospain
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi. Thanks for the reply. I understand that my Arlo router is connected via Ethernet to to my first mesh router, but does that mean that my Arlo cameras now can access the mesh satellites that I have? You say the that the Essential cameras can connect to my own WiFi, but the signal strength to each camera has not changed, and I get 5 bar reception on WiFi with the new mesh system, but the cameras are on 1 bar, so it doesn't seem they are using the mesh wi-fi network. If I look in the TP-Link app, I can see the Arlo connected via Ethernet to my main Deco (which comes from StarLink btw) but there's no camera client listed for each mesh satellite. Does each mesh satellite have it's own IP address/MAC address etc?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I can't address mesh network behavior since I don't have one. I'd suspect the satellites have their own MAC/IP addresses that aren't displayed (rather like Arlo cameras connected to the hub).

Are your cameras currently connected to your hub? If so, they're not using the mesh whatsoever. What happens if you connect one to your WiFi? Do things improve signal-wise? What are you trying to accomplish? Relocating the base may prove useful but distance and wireless 2.4GHz interference may preclude that from being useful, leading to either a second hub so the signal improves or connecting the cameras to your WiFi to eliminate the hub.

arlospain
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi, yes that's the issue - knowing if the cameras are on the mesh network. They are on the Arlo hub ok, but with low signal and sometimes lots of drop-outs etc.  I can not see the cameras them on the TP-Link mesh app. All that I can see is the main Arlo router connected via Ethernet to the main Deco mesh satellite.

Can I really connect the Arlo cameras to my WiFi and eliminate the hub? That sounds perfect, but isn't the Arlo hub essential to the whole operation? I was just trying to extend my Arlo hub signal to the entire property via the mesh network I installed, that's all.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The hub is not essential in your case. Removing the whole system and then adding the cameras directly to WiFi should solve your issue. The hub need not even be connected and could be returned or sold.

arlospain
Aspirant
Aspirant

Sounds great but will this work with Arlo Essential (H9) wire-free cameras? Also, if I unplug the Arlo hub, where do I set up the cameras? In the "My Arlo" app or website? If the cameras "join" my WiFi they will need a password, so where is that set? Are there any instructions online for this - feeling a bit unsure 😌

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That's the right FAQ. Have you tried following those directions? Basically, all you do is remove everything from your account and start fresh, choosing to add the cameras to your WiFi. With the hub being removed, you won't even get the choice to add the cameras to it, just to your WiFi.