Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Can you turn Arlo Essential outdoor camera off

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Pipp
Follower
Follower

Hi,

I'm looking at buying an arlo essential outdoor camera but I would like to know if it can be turned off. I appreciate that with the modes you can change it to a mode where it won't alert about motion but I would like it to to not to record or be available for online view while I am at home. (essentially I would like it to be completely off, some kind of standby mode)

Also does anyone know about about the integration with SmartThings, can mode be changed from the SmartThings app?

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

And for further clarification, if the camera is not included in a mode, it's disarmed. That's where multiple custom modes are useful and then use the schedule and/or geofencing to switch to a mode which does not include particular cameras. However, that doesn't preclude being able to use live view and manual recording. If that's imperative, you would have to use the On/Off toggle for the camera in its settings manually each time (don't forget to turn it back on).

Otherwise, the Essential indoor camera would likely be your best bet, as mentioned above. Without using the On/Off toggle, the privacy shield would be closed. Live view is still possible but requires an authentication step to activate it which may be adequate.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Pipp wrote:

I appreciate that with the modes you can change it to a mode where it won't alert about motion

Just to clarify - you can also change it to a mode where it won't record when motion is detected.

@Pipp wrote:

but I would like it to to not to record or be available for online view while I am at home. (essentially I would like it to be completely off, some kind of standby mode)

There is a device on/off control in the app for the camera.  

If you are thinking about indoor use, you might consider the Arlo Essential Indoor camera, which has a privacy shutter.  It does require AC power, but if you can arrange that it is a good option.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

And for further clarification, if the camera is not included in a mode, it's disarmed. That's where multiple custom modes are useful and then use the schedule and/or geofencing to switch to a mode which does not include particular cameras. However, that doesn't preclude being able to use live view and manual recording. If that's imperative, you would have to use the On/Off toggle for the camera in its settings manually each time (don't forget to turn it back on).

Otherwise, the Essential indoor camera would likely be your best bet, as mentioned above. Without using the On/Off toggle, the privacy shield would be closed. Live view is still possible but requires an authentication step to activate it which may be adequate.