Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Fhmfhmfhm
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hello

I am in the UK and I use Google Nest WiFi to support my Virgin Media broadband.

I've been using the Arlo wire free doorbell for around 2-3 weeks. It was provided to me by my alarm provider (Verisure) as a gift for signing up.

I note the battery is meant to last 6 months per a charge but I am getting around 36-72 hours at the moment.

I have tried to lower all the settings (screen resolution, HDR off, night mode off), I have tried to decrease the sensitivity in settings and I have even disarmed the door bell but it is still draining so fast.

Can anyone suggest what is happening and help please as it's coming across as a terrible product.
4 REPLIES 4
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Fhmfhmfhm wrote:
 I have even disarmed the door bell but it is still draining so fast.

What battery life are you seeing when the doorbell is disarmed?

Also, does the doorbell's field of view include a high-traffic area (street or public sidewalk)?

Fhmfhmfhm
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hello Stephen

I went from 50 percent ish to 0 within 24 hours when it had been disarmed.

It's not a high traffic area. 20 cars an hour and maybe 10 pedestrians. The road/pavement is around 5 metres away. I tried to isolate just my porch for motion sensoring and I tried with no isolated area - still same issue.

Only thing I should say is that my house is elevated up 5-6 steps to the road if that makes any difference.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

How many recordings are you getting and how long are they? How much live viewing are you using? What is the house construction? How is the WiFi reception at the doorbell? Are there any other 2.4GHz wireless devices or neighbors' WiFi nearby that could be interfering with the signal?

One way to test is to bring the doorbell indoors, nearer the router to see how it reacts.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Fhmfhmfhm wrote:

It's not a high traffic area. 20 cars an hour and maybe 10 pedestrians. 

That would still be ~30 motion detections an hour.  Activity zones won't improve the battery life - the motion detection still sends video to the cloud, which then only saves video when it finds that the motion is inside the zone. Dropping motion sensitivity will reduce the amount of streaming, but of course if you drop it too low you'll lose detections that you want.

But I think the real puzzle here is why the battery is dropping when the camera is disarmed.  It shouldn't be detecting motion or streaming when it is in that state.  

You could try exchanging the doorbell (if you can) or contacting support.