Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
JK69
Aspirant
Aspirant
Arlo essential cable. Can I close the window without damaging the charging cable?
9 REPLIES 9
Dannybear
Master
Master
The charger cables do not have any armour shielding so no.
JK69
Aspirant
Aspirant
Dannybear thanks for the prompt reply....really annoyed with Arol charging double the price for a product not fit for purpose
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There's the indoor cable which shouldn't be used outdoors as stated above. Then there's the outdoor cable which is to be plugged into an outdoor outlet. Seems like you're trying to mix and match rather than using it as intended.

JK69
Aspirant
Aspirant
Guru not confused as on Arol site cable advertising as OUTDOOR. As a customer purchased as my camera is outside
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Running the outdoor cable through a window doesn't meet the designed use of the adapter. You're plugging it in indoors, running it through the window and then connecting to the camera. The design is to plug it into an OUTDOOR outlet and go straight to the camera.

WaldoJr
Aspirant
Aspirant

I run my cable from the indoor outlet next to my sink to my camera on a suction cup outside my window. I closed the window, and it did crimp the cable; however, it still works with no short. So you can do it, and it will work, but you risk damaging your charger and camera battery if you create a short.  

JK69
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thank you for the response
JK69
Aspirant
Aspirant
The camera is fitted outside as advertised.. I have 2 previous Arlo Pro cameras that was internally connected at the mains and the cable went through the window no issue.
As impressed withe the camera we upgraded to the essential range, how can the company miss the simple charging when already resolved in the earlier models.

Again so frustrating.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@JK69 wrote:
The camera is fitted outside as advertised.. I have 2 previous Arlo Pro cameras that was internally connected at the mains and the cable went through the window no issue.
As impressed withe the camera we upgraded to the essential range, how can the company miss the simple charging when already resolved in the earlier models.

The older cable didn't have any shielding to protect the wires inside from being damaged by the window either.

What you are doing might work just as well using the indoor cable for the Essential too.   The risk is the same, and the cables themselves should be pretty similar.

The outdoor cable is thick enough that the window might not close very well.