Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Csmooth_08
Guide
Guide

Hello. Last week, since the update for Arlo base station hub (#vmb4540r) the storage hasn’t been working correctly. Every 2-3 days, it keeps saying the storage has been corrupted and needs to be reformatted, regardless of me troubleshooting with installing different usb drives. It was working fine with no issues for over 5 months. 

This is becoming very nuisance. I spent too much money on these security devices  to not have them working. 

Ps the hub software version is 1.21.0.0_1377_a58d08a

Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

The development team is currently reviewing reports of this issue. I will provide an update once I have more information to share.

JamesC

67 REPLIES 67
AbusedCustomer
Guide
Guide

Yes my local storage is corrupted every couple of weeks. And when tech support suggests to disconnect and restart every camera they can come climb on my roof and buildings and do it themselves. And God forbid we try to stay with one camera HA! And the 6 month cameras last 30 days .. ARLO equipment is not robust. 

AbusedCustomer
Guide
Guide

And we should be able to reboot and or restart a camera remotely ! Should not have to require a dangerous roof visit and remove and replace the batteries and push that stupid button . Or to have to delete and reinstall cameras as many times as I’ve had too. I have about 5K invested in this stuff. I may look at another brand. 

Pcken
Tutor
Tutor

The first time this happened, before I know the 513 issue, I went through Arlo's advice of resetting the hub and disconnecting/reconnecting all the cameras.... very awful experience.  Merely putting in a new MicroUSB card didn't resolve those issues.  Which I'm guessing is that it's RAM was tied to something on that card, and since the app wasn't showing the menu options to format the card, the only solution was to reset everything.  Unfortunately, I had to do that a second time a few months later.  I am very disappointed in Arlo camera systems.

Since I learned about the 513 issue, I deleted one file to get to 512 - and it worked.  I haven't had to reset again, so far.  I'm hoping that by also staggering the record times, it will minimize the possibility of file overwriting.  But I did go back and look an old card from one of the previous resets, and saw the 513 files issue existed on it too - which seems to confirm for me that the 513th file in the folder is the issue.

sternzy
Initiate
Initiate

I have looked at the folders and files in the usb thumb drive storage and if there truly is an issue with multiple camera I feel it is with the way they are storing multiple cameras feeds into 1 folder.  The issue I am seeing also happened once I added a second and third camera to the local storage and the trial subscription ran out.  Arlo, I recommend each camera gets a separate folder and each of the folders then can store sequence numbers or prefix or postfix the files with a camera id so 2 cameras can never write to the same folder.  Also if you truly have a limit of so many files in a folder then stop writing to those folders earlier under the assumption that more than 1 camera may be triggered at the same time as another.  Also there is no reason why you can’t drop a thumbnail single frame for each of the videos like is visible on the cloud.  This is pretty basic functionality that your users are asking for so please be more responsive to our needs.  Lots of us have had Arlo since day 1 and more alternative choices are becoming available every month.  Don’t put yourselves in a situation where your customers are getting so frustrated they start looking for other solutions.

jlentzaz
Guide
Guide

New firmware push, 1.21.1.0_1397_898b168 for VMB4540, hopefully that finally fixes the issue.

Ravedood
Tutor
Tutor

Looks like the new  firmware update did the trick for me as of today. I'll check back in a few days to see if it sticks.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

New firmware has been released resolving this issue. Your base station/SmartHub should have automatically updated and received this firmware overnight.

Please test again and list us know if you are still experiencing an issue.

JamesC

showmajin
Aspirant
Aspirant

showmajin
Aspirant
Aspirant

Updated the firmware.
Failed to format the USB device. Firmware is 1.21.1.0_4300_898b168.
Hardware is VMB400r3.

arlo-customer
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same issue with storage corruption using product Pro SmartHub VMB4540  and the latest available firmware is at 1.21.0.2_1391_8a519c8

Is this the latest firmware? If not, when will the update be available to all customers? And does a newer firmware than the version I have fix this issue?

Timinglight
Star
Star

JamesC,

Please recall this post as a solved issue. It is premature and unprofessional. Feedback is essential to verify the problem is resolved. Posting inconclusive solutions is negligible, lazy, and lacks accountability.

Since the firmware update, there are two major issues. These two problems are just as severe if not worse.

Before I give feedback, I'm going to post the same question you've chosen ignore. While the development team is working on this urgent matter, what temporary measure is being taken to ensure the cameras record and store video without corrupting? This is not a new issue, and its been going on for years. The USB's are corrupting and all recorded video becomes lost. We paid good money and deserve an answer. Ignoring community questions is disrespectful and deceptive. If the product can't record and store videos locally, then provide free monthly subscriptions until it's resolved. The cloud subscription works without fail. I will continue posting to the community and on the internet until we come to a resolution. I am committed to expose Arlo's deceptive stratagies and blatant disregard to its community who cannot afford a monthly subscription.

Here is my feedback. There are two major issues since the "firmware" update. I have a five camera system. First, I no longer have control of the recording time duration. They are set for two minutes, but if three or more cameras detect motion, the recording duration only lasts a few seconds. This is random to all five cameras.

Second major issue, the cameras become dormant for hours and don't record anything. This is also random to all five cameras.

It's obvious the recording data rate corrupts the USB, and the development team is trying to control the amount of data by limiting the camera recordings.

Your team is kicking the can down the road and sweeping the problems under the rug.

LUser1526
Guide
Guide

Are you sure this is resolved??? Is it resolved for all base station models, or just certain ones, because looks like some people are still having problems... I have VMB400r3 and every time I "test" to see if it's been fixed, I waste/corrupt another good USB flash drive. Can anyone confirm that this issue has been resolved, specifically for VMB400r3? The firmware I have says 1.21.1.0_4300_898b168. Usually it takes a couple days/weeks for me after putting in a new USB before I find out it corrupts.

jlentzaz
Guide
Guide

The corrupt storage issue on my VMB4540 has not occurred since the 1.21.1.0_1397_898b168  push on 6/26/2023.  However, it appears to have introduced a new issue that wasn't present prior.  I've got a couple cameras set that if one records then the other records the event too.  With this new firmware, the dual recording fails maybe 50-60% of the time.  Prior to this patch and all these corrupt storage issues dating back to 4/2023, this lack of dual recording rarely occurred, less than 1% of the time.

LUser1526
Guide
Guide

Ok so I've put in another brand new USB flash drive, and now I get an error message "Failed to format the USB device." So this is not solved yet.

Firmware is 1.21.1.0_4300_898b168.
Hardware is VMB400r3

Gaulk
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello 

The IO error has appeared again today for me in the app. How do I know that I have received the updated firmware overnight?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Gaulk,

This firmware is not yet available in all regions, specifically EU. We expect the firmware to be available in these regions soon.

JamesC

naturalee
Aspirant
Aspirant

Base station stopped recording. Message local drives corrupt, format. I did and still it would not record. So, I replaced the drives with new ones. Recording still not working. I purchased arlo secure plan thinking this would fix it. It did not. I checked for updates and none was available. My equipment

VMB4030 cameras pro 2. I was having no problems.  Still nice pictures but without recording they are no good to me. I hope you can fix this. Thanks

Chris-B1
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've been experiencing this problem for months now I kept on thinking my usb stick was the issue. This is a huge security problem that needs to be solved ASAP what's the reason for having cameras if you can't record whats happening.. I am based in the Caribbean so this issue is affecting everyone.