Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Essential XL recording outside of activity zones - why?

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Chriscic
Initiate
Initiate

I have the four activity zones set up to exclude the street, but it keeps recording the entire field of view which is quickly drainng the battery (as one might expect).

It was working correctly on the prior camera, and pretty sure even on this one for the first week (not sure).

Happening for anyone else? Did something change, or am I not understanding something with activity zones perhaps?

2 REPLIES 2
DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

Is the new camera covered under a subscription, if not you will need to externally power the camera for activity zones to function.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Chriscic wrote:

I have the four activity zones set up to exclude the street, but it keeps recording the entire field of view which is quickly drainng the battery (as one might expect).

Activity zones DON'T affect battery life.  Every time motion is detected, the camera streams video to the cloud.  The cloud then suppresses recordings and notifications for out-of-zone recordings.

If the goal is to improve battery life, you either need to adjust the camera position or reduce the motion sensitivity.

@DannyBearAgain:  The Essential requires a subscription for activity zones - connecting it to AC power won't provide that feature.