Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
Raven-60
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am so bummed. I received camera as a gift along with a 2nd Arlo- same type only an xp, have used it for about 6 months and the battery appears to be dead.  1st got msg it was offline, then told battery was low, plugged it in for 6 hrs and won t take a charge. No lights, nothing.  Camera was used within indoor garage. I know the electrical outlet works as I had something else plugged in and the charging cable was new. Got it from box camera was in. 2nd arlo camera is fine.   Is this how long the cameras - 6 months of use - are expected to last?  Has my Arlo reached its EOL? Any thoughts or ideas on what I should try next would be most welcomed. Seems to be an expensive luxury if cameras don t last very long. Thank you. 

12 REPLIES 12
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

While it's possible that you have a faulty camera, try this first (even though it's for a different model):

https://kb.arlo.com/000052305/My-Arlo-Pro-or-Arlo-Pro-2-battery-is-dead-what-do-I-do

It's best to occasionally monitor battery life and proactively recharge, perhaps when the battery icon turns red (>25% battery life). Try using the charger for some other device to verify it does work. When plugging it into the camera take care to ensure it's fully seated.

Do you have a subscription? If so, use Settings, Support, choose your camera for official support if needed.

Raven-60
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for response. Unfortunately for this type of camera you cant remove the battery.   I may need to reach out to arlo support. Thank you again. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

True but you don't need to remove the battery - it's a function of plugging it in and unplugging it multiple times until the battery has sufficient charge to allow it to then fully charge. As I initially said, it's for a different model camera so modify  the attempt based on what you can or can't do.

fireman1
Guide
Guide

I just posted two days ago about the same issue.  Had three Arlo Pro Cameras that are at least three to four years old.  I added two new Arlo Essential VMC 2030 cameras.  We had a cold snap -30C and as usual all the cameras went down until the weather warmed up two days later.  The Arlo Pro's came back on as they usually do at the battery level they were charged to 85 percent.  The two new Essential Cameras are totally out and drained at 0 percent.  This is ridiculous, now I have to wait until we get home in two months to see if they will even recharge.  There is definitely something wrong with the battery technology they are using in these new cameras compared to what they used in the Arlo Pros.  May be asking for my money back.

Raven-60
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you. Ive tried 3 times at 6 hrs each to charge without success.  The battery lite doesnt lite up signifying it is charging. Should i be plugging it in and than unplug it in in rapid succession to prime the battery?  I read the article but obviously understanding what is saying. Thank u again. 

fireman1
Guide
Guide

Hello, Raven, I can't answer your question about charging the battery on the dead battery issue with the Arlo Essential.  I won't be able to try recharging them until I get home, they are presently totally drained to zero, but my other three Arlo Pros are still running fine at 85%.  All I can say is that I always bring the cameras in and let it warm up for a couple of hours and then recharge them.  There is definitely a problem with the battery they have gone to in the Arlo Essential, it totally drains, even when it goes offline in cold weather.  It would be nice if someone from Arlo (tech) would chime in and fill us in what the problem is.

Raven-60
Aspirant
Aspirant

Eureka. It WORKED!!  Primed it a few times taking it in and out of charger a few times. Plugged it in for 3 hrs unplugged it and plugged it in for another 3 hrs.  Connected it to my wi-fi but then it wouldnt stay connected.  Reset it back to factory settings. Removed it from my account. All the while the blue light is flashing and its making a clicking noise. Red dots come on for camera but no recording. How do i fix all this and get it to stop clicking at me?  What does an amber blinking light mean? It was doing that for awhile too. 

Raven-60
Aspirant
Aspirant

Eureka x2. Let it rest for a bit. Charged it some more and then let it sit overnite and was able to add it to account. And the important part. All systems are a go. Thank u so much for all your help!  

Raven-60
Aspirant
Aspirant

fireman1. Just have to give it time to recharge and it should work. Good luck. 

Initiate
Initiate

I would like to have a email address to forward the purchase date and company I purchased the merchandise. It's very difficult to handle business like this unprofessional. Personal contact is preferable especially when it comes to consumers money and the purchase was made 4 months 

ago 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @0212 

Can you provide more detail regarding the issue you are experiencing.

Thank you 

fireman1
Guide
Guide

Hi, I own 5 Arlo Cameras, three Arlo Pros (purchased around 2018) and two Arlo Essentials that I added in Sept 2022.  I live in Ontario Canada so we do have cold weather during the winter.  We had only one cold snap last winter that was below -20 C.  My three Arlo Pros always go offline during this cold weather but once it warms back up usually above -20C they come back on at the same battery capacity they were at.  My two new Arlo Essentials did not come back on, and were totally drained.   When I returned from my winter vacation and tried to recharge the two Arlo Essential Cameras, they wouldn't recharge.  I managed to get one Essential to recharge after "priming" the battery by plugging and unplugging it multiple times.  The other Essential camera did recharge using the same method of priming but wouldn't hold the charge at all and has been replaced under warranty by Arlo.  The battery system in the Essential Camera are no where near as good as the ones in the older Arlo Pro during cold weather, which is unfortunate.  It makes them useless to me during the winter especially while I am away.