Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Essential Spotlight VMC2030AerH9 - Live view not connecting

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
scotte71
Aspirant
Aspirant

New 4-pack of Arlo Essential Spotlight cams.  All updated to 1.090.27.6_45_1583184.  Setup was simple.  All added to Arlo Secure app.  Connected directly to my wi-fi and signal strong on all four cameras.   I have a SmartHub from previous Arlo Pro 2's, but bought Essentials to ditch the hub.  I have discovered that connecting to live view in the Arlo Secure app almost always fails with the Essentials.  I think I have connected only twice in dozens of attempts during troubleshooting, but even then it took close to 30 seconds.  Most of the time I see "Connectin...", but screen times out before the live view feed begins.   The cameras (or maybe it's the app) are capable of capturing still images to set activity zones and the motion detection test works fine (amber blinks with movement), so the cameras are doing something, but can't figure out if the live view connection problem is the cameras, the app (worked fine with Arlo Pro 2's and Q's), or a combo.  I've run through every troubleshooting step I can find, including reinstalling the Arlo Secure app, clearing cache, rebooting router, restarting cameras, etc.  Hoping to figure this out soon as I want to stick with Arlo, but this has been a disappointing upgrade so far.   

6 REPLIES 6
scotte71
Aspirant
Aspirant

Forgot to add bandwidth is 45 down, 4.5 up.  With previous Pro 2's and Q's, the only problem was slight lag (1 or 2 seconds), so I don't think it's a bandwidth issue. 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @scotte71

It looks like your upload bandwidth might be causing the delay. I have provided an article with more in depth detail regarding the requirements. https://kb.arlo.com/000062043

Thanks

scotte71
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply.  I have double the recommended minimum upload bandwidth.  I also have a Ring cam that is on the outside of the house with a lot more structure between it and my router, and yet it has almost no delay.  My 5 year old Arlo Pro 2's perform much better than the new Essentials.  I wonder what Arlo got wrong with these?  Returning them tomorrow.  

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

If you like, I can escalate the issue you are experiencing to help investigate the issue?

scotte71
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'll give escalation one shot.  I just went through the full setup process again with one camera, router reboot, disconnected other devices, tested bandwidth, etc.  Everything with the Essential seems fine, except live view doesn't work and video recordings are not showing up in Arlo Secure even though I get immediate motion alerts (recording is turned on and set to 10 seconds).

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

I have escalated your case & someone from support will be reaching out to you as soon as possible. I have provided your escalations number here: 43078311