Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Camera has trouble detecting garage door opening and closing

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
Blackie808
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi - I've been running a 2 camera Arlo Pro 2 system for awhile and overall happy with it (apart from the notifications and iOS DND settings... but that's an another story).

I recently bought a Arlo Essentials camera to go in my garage as I was hoping it would detect the garage door opening and closing but unfortunately it won't unless really close to the door.  I've tried upping the sensitivity on the motion detection to max, putting reflective tape and clothing on the door itself, changing height and angles of the camera but to no avail.  

The distance from the back wall to the door is only 6 metres and the camera detects when I move in front of door so it's obviously something about the motion detection that is fooled by a slow moving door.  The door opening triggers a low-wattage light to come on as well so it shouldn't be a visibility thing either.

I've seen a few other posts relating to this problem - has anyone found a solution?  My work-around is to have the camera at eye level, right beside the door mounting on the side wall to provide a view across the door.  It works (just about) but won't really capture much useful footage.

tia

Dave

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Unless it’s the Q camera or Indoor Essential camera ( which use pixel detection) it may not see the door move as most use PIR devices to detect motion ( infrared detection)

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Unless it’s the Q camera or Indoor Essential camera ( which use pixel detection) it may not see the door move as most use PIR devices to detect motion ( infrared detection)

Morse is faster than texting!
Blackie808
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks TomMac - looks like I bought the wrong type of camera. 😞
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

@Blackie808 

check your mail