Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
MadBoat
Initiate
Initiate

Hey guys,

I bought a 3 pack of cameras (VMK3350s) last weekend. I think our security needs are fairly simple; we're trying to give a restraining order against an ex- family member (a known, or set of known, individuals) some teeth; the individuals in question are almost certainly not going to do worse than harass us or cause property damage, at worst. So all we need to do is record video and be able to review the clips after an incident, potential incident, or periodically if we don't notice anything. 

I'm trying to figure out if I need to purchase a subscription in order to make that work. The cameras we bought come with a Secure Single Camera Trial subscription, which runs out in 3 weeks or so. Do I lose the ability to download and review footage when that is up if I don't subscribe? I'm reading conflicting reports, depending on what hardware I have. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

The cameras will require a subscription after the trial subscription expires. Suggest a multi camera subscription for all cameras.

Without a subscription you will loose arlo cloud storage and smart services and only retain basic notifications and live viewing.

With your requirements you would need manual recording capability included which is only sent to the cloud.

Steer clear of smart notifications as they may not function as advertised. Stick to basic notifications to capture everything.

Motion detector distance is 25ft so position camera carefully.

While the camera is able to show the event, identification of individuals is very limited due to the heavy arlo compression utilised.

There is no time stamp embedded in the video picture which criminal courts may not accept.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

The cameras will require a subscription after the trial subscription expires. Suggest a multi camera subscription for all cameras.

Without a subscription you will loose arlo cloud storage and smart services and only retain basic notifications and live viewing.

With your requirements you would need manual recording capability included which is only sent to the cloud.

Steer clear of smart notifications as they may not function as advertised. Stick to basic notifications to capture everything.

Motion detector distance is 25ft so position camera carefully.

While the camera is able to show the event, identification of individuals is very limited due to the heavy arlo compression utilised.

There is no time stamp embedded in the video picture which criminal courts may not accept.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@MadBoat wrote:

I'm trying to figure out if I need to purchase a subscription in order to make that work. The cameras we bought come with a Secure Single Camera Trial subscription, which runs out in 3 weeks or so. Do I lose the ability to download and review footage when that is up if I don't subscribe?

Yes, you will lose the recordings if you don't subscribe when the trial runs out.  Wait until the trial is about to expire before you subscribe.  The cameras should be automatically migrated to the subscription plan.

FWIW,  annual subscriptions are a bit cheaper, but they do have a downside.   Arlo doesn't provide a rebate if you cancel, so if you were to cancel part way through the year, you'd be out the full cost.

MadBoat
Initiate
Initiate

Thx guys. The subscription situation is what I expected... hopefully we can skip the renewal once the situation resolves itself. 

We mounted the cameras high, to keep them out of reach... if we mounted them lower, would that help with recognizing people? 

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

@MadBoat ,

Having the cameras secluded is the best approach when the mounting is lower. Baseball bats don’t mix well with security cameras.

I find that it is better to be alerted by an approaching object than not, hence the need to catch motion across the field of view rather than head on.

To recognise faces you will want a camera at door entrances as an addition.