Upgrading Base Station - Camera compatability

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
RAT33
Aspirant
Aspirant

I purchased a starter set several years ago with the basic Ultra camera (4) and the VMB4000 base station. It worked well for many years and suited my purpose. When I decided to expand my system, I purchased a 3-pack of Ultra 2 cameras which integrated into my system just fine. About a year ago, the Ultra 2 cameras quit storing video clips in my library when motion was detected, but the Ultra cameras were still storing clips. I do not subscribe to any Arlo services. All firmware is up to date and I recently gave the system a factory reset and started from scratch adding all devices. Now, I have live video but even some of the original cameras (Ultra) are not storing clips in my library.

I understand that Arlo has issued an end-of-life policy, however, I do not see any of my products on the list. My question is, do you have any ideas on getting the current system fully functional (again, VMS4000 bas station; 4 Ultra cameras; 3 Ultra 2 cameras), or, if I purchase a new VMB4540100NAS Smart Hub along with 4 ea, Essential 4-Outdoor Camera (generation 2), will the smart hub work with both the Essential series and the Ultra 2 series, effectively retiring the original Ultra cameras and base station?

Any assistance from the community would be appreciated.

Bill

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@RAT33 wrote:

I purchased a starter set several years ago with the basic Ultra camera (4) and the VMB4000 base station.

Start by double-checking the camera models.  I don't think Arlo ever bundled the Ultras with the VMB4000 base - I think they bundled them with the VMB5000.  Check the base model while you are at it - there is a VMBxxxx label on it.

Open one of the old cameras and remove the battery.  There's a label inside.  Alternatively go into the support area of the app, and select the camera.  Scroll down to the product ID area.  The Ultra model is the VMC5040.

In general - old cameras (pro and pro 2) were sold with 7 days of free cloud recording.  That was limited to 5 unsubscribed cameras in the account.  Ultras require a subscription to get any cloud recording, but initially had a very long trial period (a year).  

Do you have local storage connected to your system?

RAT33
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the response. After checking the support section the original cameras are VMC4030 Arlo PRO, not Ultra. The base is indeed the VMB4000. I have seven days of storage with no external storage. 

The one year trial period has recently ended so that is the answer to nothing in the library (cloud storage). Is the essential series similar to the Pro or Ultra with cloud storage?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@RAT33 wrote:

The one year trial period has recently ended so that is the answer to nothing in the library (cloud storage). Is the essential series similar to the Pro or Ultra with cloud storage?

Yes.  All currently sold camera models require a subscription for cloud storage.  That started in 2018 with the Ultra.