Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Introducing the 2nd generation of the Essential camera, now offered in both 2K and HD options. Experience exceptional smart home security with unbeatable value and price. We all deserve protection, no matter what your budget is or the size of your property. Choose from 2K or HD camera options for round-the-clock protection.

JamesC_0-1695148726936.png

JamesC_1-1695148726938.png

JamesC_2-1695148726939.png

Essential Coverage. Everyday Protection. Essential Outdoor Camera provides smart home security with clear HD 1080P resolution, Color HD Night Vision, and Integrated Siren. Check-in on your home, family or pets anytime.

·        First sub $50 HD security camera

·        Updated seamless Bluetooth onboarding

·        130° field of view

·        Wire-free with built-in rechargeable battery for long lasting battery life

·        Integrated Spotlight

·        Color Night Vision

·        Sleeker form factor with newer battery technology

Essential Coverage. Crystal-Clear Details. Essential Outdoor Camera provides enhanced smart home security with crystal clear 2K resolution and zoom in to see more details without distortion day or night with Color Night Vision.

·        First sub $100 2K security camera

·        Updated seamless Bluetooth onboarding

·        130° field of view

·        Wire-free with built-in rechargeable battery for long lasting battery life

·        Integrated Spotlight

·        Color Night Vision

·        Sleeker form factor with newer battery technology

Post a reply or visit Arlo Support if you have any additional questions or need more information about the Arlo Essential Outdoor Camera - 2nd Generation.

Thank you for being part of the Arlo Community!

85 REPLIES 85
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Speedyturtle7 wrote:

The mount will only provide about 45 degrees movement in any direction, this is not enough for some of our applications. 

It uses the standard mounting thread, so you can purchase a wide variety of third-party mounts if the one Arlo supplied isn't suitable for the spot you want to place the camera.

Roseab
Aspirant
Aspirant

Porque no puedo añadir mi nueva cámara essential de 2da generación a mi smart hub?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Roseab wrote:

Porque no puedo añadir mi nueva cámara essential de 2da generación a mi smart hub?

Arlo says that feature is coming, but not available yet.

RegularJoe
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I didn't look real close at the box when I bought 4 of these at Walmart today.... $29 apiece on a black friday sale. I thought they were the 2030 Essential Spotlight cameras. The word spotlight was noticeably absent, but the 29$ price tag blinded me... I'm used to the high dollar 2030's... they were $44 a while back, so dropping down another 15 dollars made me want to snap some more up.
  When I just now got one out and looked at it, I see it's quite a bit smaller than a 2030. Makes me think the battery isn't as big. I read some of the literature on this discussion that mentioned something about new battery technology, but color me skeptical.
  I took care opening up the box so it looks unmolested in case I take it back.
I have no problem with the big, clunky by comparison 2030.... have these been out long enough to prove themselves that the battery life is good compared to a bigger package?

Tjhastings
Star
Star

Once again dodgy documentation,

I bought my Arlo Smarthub so that I could connect a doorbell to HomeKit . Unfortunately the doorbell is not HomeKit compatable although an apparently will be late 2023 ( only 6 weeks left) . So I made a decision to make use of the hub and add two Essential cameras. Not aware that was an issue with compatibility with the SmartHub I bought a pair of Cameras from a local store after checking the KB . I was unaware there was any issue because the names are the same. I have been in a chat with support all morning trying to get an acceptable solution , who let it known that the HomeKit integration also wouldn’t be available.

The issue is there will be a firmware update sometime when its is available .  How long will either updates be ? 

The doorbell and cameras were purchased so that I could provide extra security. My wife has terminal cancer and is sometimes bed ridden. Being able to integrate with HomeKit was the main reason I bought Arlo and that appears to be a fairy tale with a unpleasant ending 

Tjhastings
Star
Star

Just talking to support apparently maybe Q1 , most likely Q2 more likely Q3 for firmware upgrades 

Jo060
Luminary
Luminary

Just to confirm, the VMA3600 panel will not work with the 2nd Gen? 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jo060,

VMA3600 is not compatible with 2nd Generation devices. If you have a 2nd Generation device, you will need this model: https://www.arlo.com/en-us/accessories/VMA6600-10000S.html

JamesC

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

RegularJoe,

The Arlo Essential XL Outdoor Camera 2K and Essential XL Outdoor Camera HD come with an integrated extra-length (XL) battery that lasts one year without charging. The Arlo Essential Outdoor Camera HD and Arlo Essential Outdoor Camera 2K both come with an integrated battery that lasts six months without charging. You can read more about the new 2nd Generation devices here: https://kb.arlo.com/000063189/Arlo-Essential-Outdoor-Camera-2nd-Generation-Series-FAQ?cid=wmt_netgea...

JamesC

bartcannady
Tutor
Tutor

the mount is adjustable  once you mount it you can move it ever how you need to

fxguy
Initiate
Initiate

Continuous Video Recording?

I just bought 2  Arlo Essential 2 Outdoor 2K (VMC3050)'s and thought they could do CVR.

Is this not correct?

Is it something coming soon or should I return the cameras?

Thanks!

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

fxguy,

CVR is not available at this time for Arlo Essential 2nd Generation devices. I do not have any information on when this feature will be available at this time.

JamesC

andreroalves
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just bought this camera and can't set it up. This specific model doesn't appear in my app. I tried to update it, but still not working. I have the pictures and recording of the issue, but for some reason, I can't upload them here.

andreroalves
Aspirant
Aspirant

In that post, they say the issue was resolved, but I still not see the Essential Outdoor 2nd on the app to do the onboarding. I just bought this camera and can use it. I live in Tampa, FL, not abroad. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

andreroalves,

Arlo Essential 2nd generation devices are not available for installation in all countries. Where are you located?

JamesC

andreroalves
Aspirant
Aspirant

I live in Tampa, FL.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

andreroalves,

I've taken a look at the Arlo account associated with the email address you're using here on the community and the account shows Brazil. Did you use a VPN when setting up the account or were you located in Brazil at the time you made the account?

If you're in Tampa, FL now, you can create a new Arlo account (be sure you're not using a VPN) and it will be a US account. From there, you will be able to onboard your 2nd Generation devices.

JamesC

andreroalves
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ok, thank you for the update. 

My account was created when I was living in Brazil. I'll make another one.

DraganS
Aspirant
Aspirant

The 4x VMC3050 cameras were purchased with the Base Hub VMB4540 at JB HiFi in New Zealand a month ago with intent for local storage of recording as advertised. After experiencing difficulties setting them up, I found out on this channel that the firmware for VMC3050 is not ready yet, despite being sold as a package with the VMB4540. Since Arlo offers a free trial period, I decided to give them a chance for the update, hoping it will be issued soon as promised. Now, I have been cut out from the trial period and with no software update, rendering the cameras and the base hub useless. I got other cameras where they offer at least a week of recording access for free. Arlo is trying to sell me the subscription in the meantime, without explaining what to do with their Base station. I was expecting the minimum they could do was to extend the trial period at least until they sort out their software issue. In the meantime: DO NOT BUY THIS PACKAGE. It is a scam. Very disappointed. Regards

Dragan

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

DraganS,

While it is correct that Essential 2nd generation cameras are not compatible with base stations at this time, I was not able to find the bundle you're referring to that includes a VMB4540 base station at JB HiFi. Are you able to provide the model for the kit you purchased or a screenshot of the packaging?

Essential 2nd generation cameras will be updated in the future to allow for base station compatibility, but this is not yet available.

JamesC

kb9hgi
Tutor
Tutor

I just read where the Essential Outdoor camera 2nd Gen would work on hub/base station. So I bought one and the darn thing only connect to my wifi and will not connect to my VMB4000. So this thing is a paper weight because I like having all my cameras on local storage.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@kb9hgi wrote:

I just read where the Essential Outdoor camera 2nd Gen would work on hub/base station. So I bought one and the darn thing only connect to my wifi and will not connect to my VMB4000. So this thing is a paper weight because I like having all my cameras on local storage.

Not sure where you read this, but as you found out the 2nd Gen cameras don't yet support any hubs. 

Arlo has said that feature will be added "soon", but they haven't said when (and they haven't given any details on what hubs would be compatible).

JoAnneNabors
Aspirant
Aspirant

FYI, My solar charger does not keep any of my cameras charged for more than a day or 2.  I have to bring inside to charge.

I was trying to replace 6 Relolink Battery cameras and my gripe was that I had to change the batteries, but at least I *could* change them!  Now I am left with gaps in security when a campera runs out of juice, and I have to climb up and  remove it.

JoAnneNabors
Aspirant
Aspirant

James, 

I don't understand how this could be true:

"The Arlo Essential Outdoor Camera 2K comes with an integrated battery that lasts six months without charging.

What is the reason mine go from a fully charged (indoor) battery to low or offline in less than 24hrs for one, and in 2 days for the others. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The total amount of recordings and/or live views per day can cause this, with <5 minutes per day being the spec for battery life. The connection to your router can also be an issue due to poor signal strength and/or 2.4GHz wireless interference.

Bring the camera indoors for testing (without the solar panel) to see if that improves the situation. If so, it's something about the location or amount of camera usage that's your problem. What is your house construction? Stone, brick and stucco all tend to block the signal significantly.