Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Introducing Arlo Essential Outdoor Camera - 2nd Generation

Discussion stats
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Introducing the 2nd generation of the Essential camera, now offered in both 2K and HD options. Experience exceptional smart home security with unbeatable value and price. We all deserve protection, no matter what your budget is or the size of your property. Choose from 2K or HD camera options for round-the-clock protection.

JamesC_0-1695148726936.png

JamesC_1-1695148726938.png

JamesC_2-1695148726939.png

Essential Coverage. Everyday Protection. Essential Outdoor Camera provides smart home security with clear HD 1080P resolution, Color HD Night Vision, and Integrated Siren. Check-in on your home, family or pets anytime.

·        First sub $50 HD security camera

·        Updated seamless Bluetooth onboarding

·        130° field of view

·        Wire-free with built-in rechargeable battery for long lasting battery life

·        Integrated Spotlight

·        Color Night Vision

·        Sleeker form factor with newer battery technology

Essential Coverage. Crystal-Clear Details. Essential Outdoor Camera provides enhanced smart home security with crystal clear 2K resolution and zoom in to see more details without distortion day or night with Color Night Vision.

·        First sub $100 2K security camera

·        Updated seamless Bluetooth onboarding

·        130° field of view

·        Wire-free with built-in rechargeable battery for long lasting battery life

·        Integrated Spotlight

·        Color Night Vision

·        Sleeker form factor with newer battery technology

Post a reply or visit Arlo Support if you have any additional questions or need more information about the Arlo Essential Outdoor Camera - 2nd Generation.

Thank you for being part of the Arlo Community!

85 REPLIES 85
Gol15x
Initiate
Initiate

Any idea as to when these will be able to connect to a SmartHub? I hear it will be a post launch update but when is the question. I like having local storage.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Gol15x,

Base Station/SmartHub compatibility is slated for a future firmware release. I do not have a date available at this time but stay tuned here on the community and arlo.com for announcements.

JamesC

LZDave
Initiate
Initiate

The arlo.com web site comparison of camera models states the Arlo Essential Outdoor Camera is comparable with base stations/smart hub vmb4000, vmb4500, vmb4540, vmb5000.  I bought the camera based on ability to connect to a Arlo smarthubs pro3 4540. The setup app does not give option to add to hub.  Why is marketing information on web site currently stating this is compatible when the firmware for this is not developed?  Should I return this camera and get one that is compatible with hub currently?   How long before this actually gets fixed?

mdsmds342
Initiate
Initiate

Any update? I bought essential camera 2nd Generation and it does not connect to the base station VMB4500r2.   I would like to use the more reliable networking plus USB option for storage of the base station.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@LZDave wrote:

The arlo.com web site comparison of camera models states the Arlo Essential Outdoor Camera is comparable with base stations/smart hub vmb4000, vmb4500, vmb4540, vmb5000.  

Yes, the comparison page does list those bases for the Gen 2 cameras

@JamesC - you might want to follow up on that.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

LZDave, msdsmds342

I apologize for the miscommunication with the comparison tool on arlo.com. I've escalated this for correction.

The Essential 2nd generation series cameras and the 2nd generation Arlo Video Doorbell are not compatible with Base Stations and SmartHubs at this time.. This feature is planned to be released in a future firmware update. We will provide more information once this firmware is available allowing Base Station/SmartHub compatibility.

JamesC

MAJOP
Tutor
Tutor

Great cam.  Trying to figure out how to mount it.  It is a stick mount and doesn't appear to be adjustable.  Any guide for adjustment up / down using the mount?

Gz5
Tutor
Tutor

Hi! Just bought this yesterday and trying to figure out a way to adjust it while mounting. It seems to be fixed and the mounting bracket is not adjustable. Is there a way to adjust the view coverage either on the camera itself or on the app like in other cameras?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I've used a generic camera mount with the typical 1/4"-20 thread available from many sources to mount these cameras. These mounts allow more movement/configuration than the supplied mounts.

MAJOP
Tutor
Tutor

I may have to do the same thing. Either find a new mounting solution or take it back.  Lame 

mtatpc
Initiate
Initiate

So, this may explain why my VMC3050 Camera cannot be discovered by my VMB4540 Smart Hub. Both of these were recently purchased from a large supplier locally. I am located in Tasmania, Australia. Any help would be appreciated. 

Gz5
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks! Disappointing that they didn't include a more flexible camera mount. Will have to buy a generic one too.

Gz5
Tutor
Tutor

I am trying to get voice announcements from my google nest but even though notifications are turned on both on arlo app and google nest, I still don't get voice notifications.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@MAJOP wrote:

I may have to do the same thing. Either find a new mounting solution or take it back.  Lame 

One size doesn't fit all. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@mtatpc wrote:

So, this may explain why my VMC3050 Camera cannot be discovered by my VMB4540 Smart Hub.

Nope. Currently none of the new Essential 2 cameras can connect to any hub - it's only to WiFi. A future firmware update is said to allow connections to your hub.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

MAJOP, Gz5

The mount is adjustable. Once the camera is secured to the mount, apply force in the direction you want it to face and this will allow the camera to pivot within the mount. The ball joint seated in the base of the mount will allow it to swivel in any direction.

For more information on mounting your camera, see here: https://kb.arlo.com/000063167/How-do-I-mount-my-Arlo-Essential-Outdoor-Camera-to-a-wall-2nd-Generati...

JamesC

MAJOP
Tutor
Tutor

Hi @JamesC  - thanks for responding. 

Once I got it mounted and applied some force I see that it is adjustable. Thanks thanks thanks

1000004887.jpg

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

MAJOP,

That is the correct mount that I was referring to in my previous post.

Attach the camera to the mount and then apply some force in the direction you want the camera to pivot. The ball joint will be a bit stiff at first but once you make the first adjustment, it will be a bit easier to position.

JamesC

tango11
Guide
Guide

I have several of the old model  arlo go cellular cameras in my app.   I purchased 2 essential xl spotlight outdoor cameras and could not add them to my account because it told me that it would automatically disable my go cameras if I added the essential cameras because the go cameras and the essential cameras cannot function together within the same app without a firmware upgrade.  Well, there is no firmware upgrade available for the go cameras as it states they are using the latest version.   What is the fix for this, or do I need to just return the new cameras, because I will not forfeit my cellular cameras just because Arlo has no app that can run both.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I know there is a warning that some older cameras when migrating to the new user interface (UI) that uses Feed to view recordings but I wouldn't expect it if still using the old UI that uses Library. Even if you have the new UI, it seems like the older devices do, in fact, work so I'm not sure what the issue is.

@JamesC , @ShayneS@BrookeN any input on this?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

tango11,

The development team is still working on a firmware release that will allow Arlo Go cameras to be compatible with the latest user interface within the Arlo mobile app.

You could create a new Arlo account (using a new email address) and onboard the Essential 2 cameras to that account. This would allow you to maintain your existing Arlo Go cameras with the legacy user interface while the Essential 2 cameras function on the new account. Once the update is available allowing Arlo Go cameras to be compatible with the latest interface, you could then move the devices to a single account.

JamesC

mdriley1048
Initiate
Initiate

I just the VMC3050 and I am concerned about recharging. How do you remive the camera from the mount to bring inside to charge?  Once I connect the mount to the screw kit there is no way to unattach the mount.  And I cannot simply unscrew the camera as it will not unscrew without access to the screw inside the mount or it simply won't unscrew as nothing stops the screw from spinning inside the mount.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

mdriley1048,

The camera/mount should be removed to bring inside for charging. You can remove the mount by sliding it up off the mounting plate, see here for more information: https://kb.arlo.com/000063167/How-do-I-mount-my-Arlo-Essential-Outdoor-Camera-to-a-wall-2nd-Generati...

Alternatively, you could consider the compatible solar panel accessory to keep the cameras battery topped off without needing to remove it for charging. See here for more info: https://www.arlo.com/en-us/accessories/VMA6600-10000S.html

JamesC

Speedyturtle7
Initiate
Initiate

James,

The mount will only provide about 45 degrees movement in any direction, this is not enough for some of our applications. Is this really the best Arlo can come up with?